New baby Redfoot

KristenandPete

i just recieved a baby redfoot(2.5-3in) yesterday and I just want to make sure he is comfortable. He didn't eat much yesterday and I over heated him with the night lamp last night on accident. But other than last night his enclosure is kept at 75 heat on the non heated side and 85-90 humidity. I need help about what to do at night. My house stays at about 74 degrees but I just don't want him to be uncomfortable. I use cypress mulch and keep moss at the corners of his habitat to retain humidity. I tried feeding him spinach and he only took a bite so today we are doing kale,tomatoes, and mangos. Oh I also need a diet plan. This is my first tortoise and I have done tons of research but I just want to hear it from the people who actually care for them.

Attachments

• IMG_1755.JPG
    IMG_1755.JPG
    164.2 KB · Views: 47
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 54

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Welcome.
That is one TINY container!
What type of lamp is that?
Your little one will need a temperature of 80 to digest food, but they are sensitive to bright lights and temperatures above 90.
Upper 70s is O.K. at night.

KristenandPete

Yes it is. It's temporary until I build him a turtle table this weekend! It's a zoomed tropical compact UVB/UVA light 13 watts. I bought it at petco. The infrared night light I have is 150 watts which I bought in a bundle from a lady. So is the light too bright? I notice he buries himself under the substrate and doesn't bask very often. Update! He is eating. Tomatoes and mangos. I tired to get him to eat the kale but he wouldn't touch it. I soaked him this morning because I overheated him last night. If the light is too bright how do I fix that? And should the whole environment be 80 degrees or just in the basking light. I take him out frequently to roam inside and outside as well.

CalvinCheng

West Los Angeles, CA
Use the long tube strip uvb light. You could just return the coil uvb light you purchased and exchange it for a long tube strip uvb light bulb. Petstore's usually sell a black hood light fixture that the long tube light bulb goes into too.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Use the long tube strip uvb light. You could just return the coil uvb light you purchased and exchange it for a long tube strip uvb light bulb. Petstore's usually sell a black hood light fixture that the long tube light bulb goes into too.
Yes and you can also buy the tube. For a Redfoot I'd get the 5.0 reptisun or similar. And buy the fixture form either the pet store or Walmart.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ok! And what about his diet? How do I get him to eat the leafy greens? I also dust his food.
Don't dust every day and use very little untill he/she gets used to it. If it is able to receive any sunlight during the day, the dusting will be less critical.
For a baby, I use something very tasty, like a strawberry chopped up and mixed up with something of more substance like shredded kale or romaine.
I.M.O. chopping and mixing makes it difficult for a baby to pick and choose.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Take note that tortoise 'tables' aren't suitable for most tortoises, especially humidity loving varieties like redfoots. Look up "Closed Chamber" enclosures for ideas on how to raise a happy healthy smooth baby.

I love redfoots and look forward to seeing more photos!

KristenandPete

Ok. I keep moss in my habitat what other plants could I consider keeping that won't be harmful?

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Welcome!! You can use aloeveras and spider plants...We are growing a mixed seed grass in ours....we bought a mini greenhouse for humidity and temps...works perfectly! Ernest johnson has a great youtube channel and look into kamp kenan as well...the box you can build it for 40bucks out of plywood...try to stay away from too much fruit...once a week is fine...