New to the forum

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome to TFO

I recommend you read the TFO care guide and compare it with the setup and care you provide. They are written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

Redfoot care
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/redfoot-care-sheet.171582/

We are happy to look over photos of your enclosure and lighting and offer suggestions of any Improvements you could make. And we are always happy to answer questions

Pop6

LINCOLN
Hello and welcome to TFO

I recommend you read the TFO care guide and compare it with the setup and care you provide. They are written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

Redfoot care
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/redfoot-care-sheet.171582/

We are happy to look over photos of your enclosure and lighting and offer suggestions of any Improvements you could make. And we are always happy to answer questions
Hello thank you for the message I will definitely send some pictures over as I want my tortoise to be as happy and healthy as can be.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh my. . . he's a beauty!

Welcome to the Forum!

Pop6

LINCOLN
Joesmum hope you get the picture this time sorry still getting used to the tortoise.forum. so I need to get a CHE light and tube light as I think I have the.wrong bulb from what you are saying. Thank you will get on this straight away. [emoji5]. IMG_20190107_164931.jpegIMG_20190107_164957.jpeg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
It looks like you have a mercury vapor lamp?
Is that correct?
You'll want a ceramic heat emitter for heat and a strip florescent lamp for UVB
Are you in the U K.?
I cant give you exactly the info you need.
@Anyfoot please

Pop6

LINCOLN
It looks like you have a mercury vapor lamp?
Is that correct?
You'll want a ceramic heat emitter for heat and a strip florescent lamp for UVB
Are you in the U K.?
I cant give you exactly the info you need.
@Anyfoot please
@zeropilot it is a D3 uv arcadil basking lamp. Yeah I think I have got the wrong one the pet shop wear I got from said to use this one [emoji53].

Pop6

LINCOLN
@zeropilot it is a D3 uv arcadil basking lamp. Yeah I think I have got the wrong one the pet shop wear I got from said to use this one [emoji53].
Yes in the uk.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
That is one beautiful Redfoot!

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Wicked I will do thanks [emoji1]
Hi

You are going to have to get a closed system enclosure or adapt the open table you have into a closed system. You can’t keep an ambient temperature and a good humidity level in an open table within a room in your house. The only area that is warm enough for your baby is right under that basking light. This will cause your baby to grow in a dry state and pyramid.

Sooooo.....
Ideally get a vivarium.
Put a uvb tube light right to one end over the feeding area. This will create a dark end and a light end. I put moist spagnhum moss in the dark end for them to hide in.
Use a CHE for a heat source to create an ambient temperature throughout the enclosure. No intense basking spots with a baby. When he’s about 2yrs old he will naturally bask when outside. But until about that age he will just hide. Mine don’t see the outdoors for first 2 yrs.
Make sure he has access to a water dish 24/7 in the enclosure. Can use a small terracotta dish that is big enough for him to sit in.
Aim for an ambient temp of 82/86f and humidity level of about 90%.

There are many debates about soaking baby tortoises. Some breeders do it and some do not. My advice for you is to soak your baby at least every other day until it’s 3 month old. Soaking him will keep him hydrated and give you piece of mind that he’s not growing dry.
If you see him sat soaking on his own accord then don’t bother that day.

This is my latest set up. It’s 4x8ft. You will be ok with a 2x4ft viv.
If I move my babies out of this type of set up too early they start growing bumpy, I think it’s because they get to dry.
I’ve noticed from about 2 yrs old they carry on growing smooth regardless, so at around 2yrs of age you will be able to make a bigger enclosure that is more open with humid places to hide.
3B64F93B-7DBB-4A12-8668-91CC6248C2F8.jpeg

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Substrate is moist coir from home bargains. It’s cheap as chips.

Pop6

LINCOLN
@Anyfoot thank you for this I will get on it straight away. I want poppy to be as healthy and happy as can be. I do soak her everyday. She is 8mths now and has put in 17grams in 8weeks is that ok or to much to little? going to send you some pictures of her shell it was like it when I got her I will be taking to the vets for a check over thank you Anyfoot.

Attachments

• IMG_20190107_164727.jpg
    IMG_20190107_164727.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20190107_164717.jpg
    IMG_20190107_164717.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 8

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
That wait gain seems normal to me.
She looks good to me.
I wouldn’t bother with a Vet visit unless your seeing some sort of illness.