New to site and the Tortoise hobby.

Location (City and/or State)
Fort Drum
New to the site. I have just purchased 2 baby high white Leopard tortoise, it will be here Tuesday morning. I have purchased a large cement mixing black tub for him. As well as a smaller cement mixing tub to grow my own grazing seeds. I have also purchased some coconut coir bricks from Carolinapetsupply which i plan to mix with some sphagnum moss, and a some play sand and clay soil once I find some. For the UVB I keep reading mixed reviews on different types of UVB bulbs. Any advise towards this subject would be awesome. I have a 100w heat emitter that i plan to use for a constant heat source. I currently live in upstate NY, so its cold more than 6 months out of the year. First tortoise for me and my family. We love reptiles so I thought a beautiful tortoise would make a great addition to my family. I currently have a blood python 1 year old, 2 red galactonotus poison dart frogs, 4 tinctorius green sipaliwini poison dart frogs, a 10 year old cat, and 2 children.

I have made the decision that adding a reptile that me and my family can interact with more than once or twice a week is what we need. I have always loved reptiles. Tortoises have been a new found interest.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Aaron welcome to the TFO from AZ . Please get rid of the sand keep it away from your tort . Leopards rule !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Aaron, and welcome to the Forum!

Did you mean that you bought 2 tortoises or a tortoise?

If one of your UVB lights is a coil shaped bulb, see if you can return it and get your money back. They can be harmful to baby tortoise's eyes.

Fort Drum
Thanks for the reply guys, i will not add the sand. I will still use it in a possible loam mix i plan to prepare within the next couple days, a gravel and sand yard in my area said they have the clay soil I'm looking for. Just waiting for a call back when i can come pick up a couple gallons. And I purchased 2 baby Leopard tortoises. I didn't want one to get lonely. But the bulb i have for my UVB is a coil. but i have purchased a Zoo Med Vapor bulb. *Image Attached* it will be here Wednesday. So they will only be using the coil build for the one day. I had the UVB bulb laying around in an old box I use for all my old lights and dome fixtures. Once they get here i will be posting lots of pictures. I know everyone likes pictures on this website.

lismar79, So leopards do need a higher humidity? I have been noticing that people are saying that Sulcatas and Leopards are needing higher humidity. I guess before it wasn't a good idea for your tortoise to have much humidity. Thats easy. the moss will provide a great humid area. I plan to move them upstairs in my bedroom if its too cold in my down stairs. My bedroom doesn't get below 70 degrees, and my downstairs will get in the mid 60's even when the heat is set to 72 degrees.

Attachments

• zoo med photo.jpg
    zoo med photo.jpg
    310.5 KB · Views: 19

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). The coil bulb doesn't need to be used. One day won't hurt, so I wouldnt bother. The humidity should be 80% with temps never lower then 80 with a basking spot of 95+. Toms threads below in my post will explain the proper, healthy way to raise your leopards healthy and smooth. For now, two will be fine. However, later on, you may need to seperate them. Tortoise are solitary animals and do not need nor do they want a friend, except at breeding time. So, be sure to keep a close eye on them as they grow for any signs of bullying. It may not be a hit you in the face type of sign either.
As soon as you get your torts, give them a warm soak for 20-30 minutes. Then put them in their enclosure, making sure the temps and humdiity is correct, have food and a low dish of water available and let them get adjusted for their first night.

Fort Drum
To easy. I hope that I got a male and female so when that time comes in several years they are able to mate. Not planning on it but if it was to happen I wouldn't mind. Thats to bad they are solitary animals. So my whole enclosure should be around 80 degrees and a basking post of 95+, what is the best way to keep the rest of the tank at 80? do i purchase another heat emitter and place it at the other end so it will stay at a constant heat of 80? I know i need to have a cool side and a warm side.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome Aaron. A few things:
No sand.
No coil bulbs.
Keep temps above 80 day and night, but dark at night.
They don't get lonely and they don't do well in pairs. Get a third, or house them separately before it causes you a problem.
Open topped tubs are near impossible to keep warm and humid unless the entire room is always warm and humid.

Please read these for more explanation and details:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/pairs.34837/

Fort Drum
So i read the version 2.0 how to raise a healthy sulcata or leopard tortoise, and pretty much my enclosure isn't going to be a suitable indoor enclosure. So I would like to receive some pictures on some awesome tortoise enclosures. I will be using my black Cement mixing tubs for planting my grazing seed. I am pretty good with wood. "I like to think".

Thanks again everyone for your help and support.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can cover or partially cover the habitat. This helps keep the warm, moist air in and the cool air out. You may have to build some sort of frame work to support a cover. When I have tiny babies to care for I like to keep them in those guinea pig cages like this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002AS424/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

You just have to figure out how to get the light inside and cover the whole thing. But babies outgrow this after about a year and you'll need to upgrade.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So i read the version 2.0 how to raise a healthy sulcata or leopard tortoise, and pretty much my enclosure isn't going to be a suitable indoor enclosure. So I would like to receive some pictures on some awesome tortoise enclosures. I will be using my black Cement mixing tubs for planting my grazing seed. I am pretty good with wood. "I like to think".

Thanks again everyone for your help and support.

Here is what I use:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/closed-chambers.32333/

Mine are pretty plain and basic. Functional, but not pretty. There are some pretty nice looking examples here on the forum. Lots of inspiration to be found.

Fort Drum
Ok. They both arrived this morning. They appear healthy. I soaked them for about 40 minutes in 85-95 degree water. One of them hasn't really opened his eyes fully. My wife has taken a few pictures and made a collage of them. I will figure out something to cover up their enclosure, or just move them into something that i could put a lid on to keep the humidity in. I have put some Mazuri down for them to eat if they are hungry. i will work on getting them a small water dish for them to use if they want to.new torts.jpg

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
,image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

The top enclosure was constructed from a bookcase on its back and built up.

The bottom one is a 50 G tub from a feed store. It cost $30.00. We added heat, lighting, covers and controllers of heat. At times it houses 2 baby Redfoots.

Your babies are beautiful!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    718.3 KB · Views: 18

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA

Alaskamike

South Florida
My baby leopards, 10 mos old, spend all day out in a large yard pen grazing and sleeping :). But it's 80-85 here and sunny still. At night I bring them in to an under the bed plastic blanket storage box. Cause it gets cold here in " winter" at night 40-60f. Burrrrr!
It is filled with coco- core , has a terra cotta under the plant dish thing full of water and a couple hides.
I heat it with a electric heating pad meant for people buried under the water dish and coir. On medium , with the top over the box, it stays between 85-90 all night with 90% humidity.

I'm not saying you should do the same , just that the ideas are endless depending on your imagination and location. Your house is way too cold and probably dry for babies.

They MUST have water at all times in a low shallow dish. Level with substrata is what I do. And I make sure it's big enough they can climb in and soak on their own safely ( no higher than 3/4 up their shells). I sometimes find them soaking in it.

You don't have to get fancy unless you want to. Heck, some people have covered their Rubbermaid containers with tin foil to keep heat and humidity in. Tops of fish tanks too.

But if you ignore the basic of UVB, a warm spot , cooler place, high humidity,soaks and water, along with space to walk and appropriate food- no matter how pretty your tort environment they will suffer , some get sick and die.

Oh one final thing. I got a temp gun at Home Depot. It was like $30 I think. You point it at anything and with lazer it instantly reads temps. Valuable to get environments adjusted. I use it all the time.

Good fortune with your little ones. Cute!
Mike

Fort Drum
Kathyth, your enclosures are pretty awesome. I plan to do something with wood. I like to think I'm pretty good at wood working. And thank you. We are enjoying them so far. Just upset that i don't have the proper enclosure for them yet. With time i will have an amazing set up. Probably by thanksgiving their enclosure will be to some standard. :)

Alaskamike, I plan to set up an outdoor enclosure when we move from this frozen hell of Upstate NY. I like your idea of keeping them under the bed in a storage box. And i do have a inferred temperature gun. i purchased it for my snake this time last year. Probably the best thing to have for any reptile in my opinion as far as a quick gauge of temp. And thanks again for the advise.

Fort Drum
20141028_182013.jpg 20141028_182025.jpg

Attachments

• 20141028_182014.jpg
    20141028_182014.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 11
  • 20141028_182144.jpg
    20141028_182144.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
  • 20141028_182149.jpg
    20141028_182149.jpg
    919.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 20141028_182214.jpg
    20141028_182214.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 9
  • 20141028_182216.jpg
    20141028_182216.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 10

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
My frozen hell of Syracuse was in the mid 70s today. Bizarre. Welcome to the world of tortoises. You've already discovered you can't stop at just one.