new to owning a tortoise AND posting in a forum (which is confusing! LOL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camdens tortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tampa, FL
My name is Stephanie and at the end of the month my family will be the proud owners of a Sulcata tortoise. We are very excited and looking forward to the lifelong commitment! However, this is our 1st tortoise and we have been doing research for weeks to make sure we provide it with the best home possible. He will be inside until hes big enough to safely be outside in his own habitat. We have a great idea for an enclosure and I think we have an understanding of the best diet but we are struggling with the best substrate. Everything we read says something different so PLEASE help! Also, we are building a wood enclosure and would love advice on the best way to seal the bottom? We are aslo having difficulty finding the plants and grasses he will need to eat on small scale to put in the enclosure. Does anyone know where I can buy seeds and grow my own, online maybe. Home depot and every other place Ive been only has "giant" plants! LOL All opinions welcome please! The pictures Ive attached are of the enclosure that we are trying to duplicate.

Attachments

• 2013-03-05_14-27-43_390.jpg
    2013-03-05_14-27-43_390.jpg
    917.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 2013-03-05_15-31-44_551.jpg
    2013-03-05_15-31-44_551.jpg
    1,009.9 KB · Views: 26

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Stephanie.

I was confused a bit by the format of the Forum when I first joined also. But in no time at all, I had it down pat!

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Hello and Welcome to the forum. :)

There are tons of different substrates that work great. I think thats why you're hearing so many mixed messages. I use cypress mulch for my sulcata hatchling. I like it because 1.) It does not mold, 2.) It does not smell bad, 3.) Its one of the least messy options.

However, I've used coco-coir in the past and thats worked well. Plain old, non toxic dirt (not sprayed with pesticide) works well, especially for outdoor pens.

Some things to keep i mind is that you'll need something that can be damp without molding and that is not toxic (because torts will sometimes eat it). Some substrates like pure sand and gravels are discouraged because a tort's digestive system can get compacted if they eat this.

When you have a chance, I'd recommend reading all the threads at the top of the Sulcata Section of this forum. Those offer some great advice on enclosures, diet, etc.

This is where I by my seeds:

http://www.carolinapetsupply.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=41&zenid=9d86fcead73a0356d59d05a69321c07b

surie_the_tortoise

5 Year Member
findlay,ohio
hello and welcome. you will learn to love your new addition very quickly. they are amazing animals. make sure you read toms threads they are very informative

Camdens tortoise

5 Year Member
Tampa, FL
is the cocoa coir just cocoa fiber (ive used that with hermit crabs) I guess my confusion is wether the habitat needs to stay wet and moist or dry? I though they could get fungus in their shells if it stays too moist?

Camdens tortoise

5 Year Member
Tampa, FL
How do I find Toms threads. I feel like an idiot! LOL I have never belonged to a group online like this and Im lost!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) Please read Toms threads at the bottom of my post. The leopard one will pertain also. When the weather is warm where you live, you need to get the little one outside for some good sunshine. They are never too small for warm sunshine. Be sure what ever enclosure you do, you can cover it, as you may need to, too keep in humidity. That will be explained in Toms threads.

Camdens tortoise

5 Year Member
Tampa, FL
great! Thanks guys! I have taken your advice and read Toms threads (about 3 times! LOL) So Im gathering the MOST important thing for my little guy at 1st is to keep him moist? I was afraid of him getting fungus or something on his shell and everything Ive been reading says to keep them dry. Must be true for the larger torts.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Camdens tortoise said:
great! Thanks guys! I have taken your advice and read Toms threads (about 3 times! LOL) So Im gathering the MOST important thing for my little guy at 1st is to keep him moist? I was afraid of him getting fungus or something on his shell and everything Ive been reading says to keep them dry. Must be true for the larger torts.

Shell rot is not common with this species. Both young and old tolerate humidity very well.

When you increase the humidity, make sure that the enclosue is also kept warm. A cold, wet tortoise is a bad thing. You want a warm, humid sully.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Sullies do not get shell rot, fungus as easily as , say redfoots.. if you are concerned with this you can put your moist substrate on the bottom, like cocoir. Then I would add cypress mulch on top. It wont be so wet. You can still spray it and it will hold Moisture well, but it wont be too wet to cause a fungus...

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Hi and welcome to TFO and the world of Sullies! I love my sullies to pieces!

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Welcome to tfo. I love this site and recommend it often as a great resource for informative and up to date information about tort keeping.

Status
Not open for further replies.