New Sulcata Tortoise Parents!

MrsJellyman

Location (City and/or State)
Springfield, MO
Hey! My name is Lauren and my husband, Kyle, and I got a sulcate tortoise just 4 days ago! We already love her so much! Her name is Esterly Tibbetts or, Essie for short! This is our first tortoise of any kind. We don't know much about raising her besides what we have read on the internet. I am so thankful that I found a page like this with so many tips and information! Right now we are living in Springfield, MO and are college students in the on-campus apartments. Essie's home is currently a 20 gallon tank. We have lots to learn and will welcome any tips!!Essie Eating on the Carpet.JPG Essie in Kyle's Hand.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and a Welcome. A 20 gallon is way too small . It needs to have room for a water dish, food dish, hide, and a way to get out from under the basking spot, and room to roam for exercise. It needs to be in a closed chamber with temps of 80 and humidity of 80% and a basking spot of 95-100. The get really big, hope you learned that before you bought him. Please read the caresheets under the sulcata section and also the closed chamber thread.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Welcome to the forum. We got our sulcata 17 years ago when he was that size. Now he is over 100 pounds.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Lauren, Kyle and Essie, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum!

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Welcome! What a beautiful baby sulcata! If my research is correct (sometimes it is, sometimes not so much) your tortoise's species grows to be the third largest in the world. So eventually, you might need a bigger tank. ;) Congratulations on your cutie.