New Sulcata Owner in AZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

chromedomeaz

5 Year Member
Hi Everyone. I own a Sulcata (Mosey) who is 6 months old. So far everything seems to be going smooth. Just trying to decide on the right substrate at the moment.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hello there, chromedomeaz:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like us to call you?

My substrates of choice are either cypress mulch or fine grade orchid bark. Quite a few of us use Bed-A-Beast (but I don't like it) and swear by it.

chromedomeaz

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hello there, chromedomeaz:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like us to call you?

My substrates of choice are either cypress mulch or fine grade orchid bark. Quite a few of us use Bed-A-Beast (but I don't like it) and swear by it.

Thank you Yvonne! I have read a lot about the Bed A Beast...but wasn't sure. I am trying Coconut Husk mixed with Top Soil today. Not super confident...but I read it somewhere. :)

Thanks,
James

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Welcome! I do like the name Mosey. :D I know I do a lot of trying of different substrates or combos of substrate all the time it seems. Always looking for "that perfect one", which I doubt really exists. :D Any how, for my own wee sulcatas I am using the coir (those blocks Yvonne dislikes :D) and a small percentage of play sand. Works well for me and the tortoises seem to like it as well. So is this your first tortoise?

chromedomeaz

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
Welcome! I do like the name Mosey. :D I know I do a lot of trying of different substrates or combos of substrate all the time it seems. Always looking for "that perfect one", which I doubt really exists. :D Any how, for my own wee sulcatas I am using the coir (those blocks Yvonne dislikes :D) and a small percentage of play sand. Works well for me and the tortoises seem to like it as well. So is this your first tortoise?

Hi Jacqui,
Yes, this is my first tortoise. I love having him as part of the family!

James

Status
Not open for further replies.