Robertsdale, AL
This is what I have so far.

1st is a pic of the enclosure
317326_2170167091112_1154777814_32215690_1947974035_n.jpg
2nd is the male making himself at home
296725_2170177571374_1154777814_32215704_107680669_n.jpg
3rd is where Jellybean buried herself already
319475_2170184851556_1154777814_32215716_1286035350_n.jpg

It isn't quite down yet, but they are enjoying it. They have a lot more space then they did before. Until I get the lights put in, I will be taking them outside for about an hour or so. Is that long enough for them?

Sorry for the pic quality in advance.

I forgot to mention that the lights will be done next week. Anyways, how long do they have to stay outside to not have to run lights inside? Just curious.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
They can't go that long without some sort of heat source. They will be fine without UV light, but you need to at least get some incandescent lights on there so that they can warm up.

To remove the need for UV lighting, at least 20 minutes daily 2-3 times a week is sufficient. But they will get sick with no heat, unless they are outside all day and only inside at night.

Lookin' good!

mel262011

5 Year Member
Robertsdale, AL
I was thinking of taking them outside for an hour or so each day until I can get the lights done next week or I can put them in their smaller enclosure during the day to get their heat and UV then put them in their bigger enclosure at night until I get the lights done. I think I will use my 2nd option for now.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
How warm is it in there right now, as is? Might want to move the water dish away from the perimeter, as when it's along the edge they tend to walk in it more (and make a bigger mess). :tort:

mel262011

5 Year Member
Robertsdale, AL
Right now, its about 75 degrees without a heat lamp

Should I keep the hide in or take it out?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Your plan sounds good, they can look forward to their new digs next week full time. They do like that basking area (UVB not as important if they are getting outside, but warm spot to bask is).
I like it! And they are extremely cute burrowing down.

mel262011

5 Year Member
Robertsdale, AL
lynnedit said:
Your plan sounds good, they can look forward to their new digs next week full time. They do like that basking area (UVB not as important if they are getting outside, but warm spot to bask is).

Thanks, the basking spot runs at 95 degrees.

Jacqui said:
How warm is it in there right now, as is? Might want to move the water dish away from the perimeter, as when it's along the edge they tend to walk in it more (and make a bigger mess). :tort:

I'll move the water dish in the morning.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
75 degrees is not warm enough for them to regulate their own body heat and digest food properly. They do not make heat on their own. This is why they NEED a basking area to warm up when needed.

Look at it this way. The human body is 98.6 degrees. That is almost ONE HUNDRED DEGREES. If our core body temp. drops to below 95, we start to suffer hypothermia! So if your ambient temperature in your enclosure is only 75, with no basking area, then that means your tortoises bodies are only maybe 78 degrees at the most. What is that doing to them physically?

One hour a day is not sufficient to regulate body heat. It will suffice for UV, but not for keeping them warm enough.

I suggest that you keep them in your smaller enclosure until the lights are finished. You cannot keep them in that big enclosure with no heat. Period.

The hide in the enclosure is fine.

mel262011

5 Year Member
Robertsdale, AL
Kristina said:
75 degrees is not warm enough for them to regulate their own body heat and digest food properly. They do not make heat on their own. This is why they NEED a basking area to warm up when needed.

Look at it this way. The human body is 98.6 degrees. That is almost ONE HUNDRED DEGREES. If our core body temp. drops to below 95, we start to suffer hypothermia! So if your ambient temperature in your enclosure is only 75, with no basking area, then that means your tortoises bodies are only maybe 78 degrees at the most. What is that doing to them physically?

One hour a day is not sufficient to regulate body heat. It will suffice for UV, but not for keeping them warm enough.

I suggest that you keep them in your smaller enclosure until the lights are finished. You cannot keep them in that big enclosure with no heat. Period.

The hide in the enclosure is fine.

We already established that I would be keeping them in their smaller one, that has the lights, during the day until I get the lights done and they will be in their larger enclosure at night.

Utah Lynn

5 Year Member
mel262011 said:
lynnedit said:

Thanks, the basking spot runs at 95 degrees.

Jacqui said:

I'll move the water dish in the morning.

FYI ... as I found yesterday, if you have the water dish in a corner and they are try to escape, they can windup upside down in the water, :-(

mel262011

5 Year Member
Robertsdale, AL
okay :D

how many of the MVB bulbs am I going to need? I was looking at the bulbs that UVA/UVB/heat all in one. Do I need to get 2 or just stay with the 1 bulb that I am getting?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
You can get the MVB bulb that has both the UVB/A and heat, which is enough for most indoor enclosures. You can position it to one side, considering that the 'warm' side.
Once they are inside for the winter, you can turn it on in the am, off at night, keeping it on a timer is great, say 6a to 7-8pm.
During the day, as long as your basking area stays 95 and cool side about 70, that's fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.