New rescue came in. I can't beleive some people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxboysracing

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Oakland, Oregon
Last night I got a call from a local pet store that often calls me when they get a sick turtle in or one who someone is "done" with. I went to go get this girl and the owner had her in a small tank with dry cat kibble piled in the corner. They just kept putting dry kibble on the top and there was a pile of moldy kibble underneath. Her toenails are the longest I HAVE EVER SEEN! She was covered in white glue like material from her bedding. Needless to say, she got a couple baths and a "scrub a dub", as well as a a nail trim and some good food. I will tackle her beak tomorrow when she settles a bit.
Question: From her coloring I assume her to be a three toe. But yet, she is huge. I mean well over 7 inches long. Her neck is super long. She has the brown eyes and flat bottom shell. I just wonder if she could be mixed with something else? Three toes tend to be smaller... much smaller. She dwarfs mine. Any ideas?
And no, she is not currently with any of mine. Although, she does love to cuddle and is very, very sweet. :D But, how could they NOT notice those claws???? I was appalled!

mikeh

5 Year Member
Wow, please get her on some healthy calorie diet, calcium and UVB. Those nails could be a sign of MBD. She is so skinny. Nice boxy never the less. Could be a gulf coast hybrid?

sent from mobile device using TFO app

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
OMG her story and her claw pictures make me so incredibly sad for her. Poor thing! I am so thankful she is now is caring capable hands so she can enjoy her the rest of her life. And I'm new to tortoises so I am no help on what she may be.

Elohi(Earth)[TURTLE]

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
My guess is there is gulf coast in there, but hard to tell. Can we see a pic of her face?

foxboysracing

10 Year Member!
Oakland, Oregon
mikeh said:
Wow, please get her on some healthy calorie diet, calcium and UVB. Those nails could be a sign of MBD. She is so skinny. Nice boxy never the less. Could be a gulf coast hybrid?

sent from mobile device using TFO app

I wondered about her being a gulf coast cross too... not sure? Actually, in person she isn't skinny at all. She is heavy and solid. Regardless though, she will definitely get on a better diet. I think once I get her situated and her health in good shape, I have a loving family who is desperately waiting for a turtle and I can work with them to make sure she is given the best care. ;)

lisa127 said:
My guess is there is gulf coast in there, but hard to tell. Can we see a pic of her face?

I will get one when I get home from work. ;) She is pretty cute.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Ok. Gulf coasts usually have a different type beak and face than the other boxies.

And being a gulf coast fan, if the other home doesn't work out....lol.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
She's a gulf coast. All mine look like that (except for the toenails).

Irish

5 Year Member
Orlando Florida
Oh my! Bless you for taking her on. She deserves a good life with much more space and love.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That is so disgusting the way she was being cared for. Well, I should say not cared for. The poor think, makes me sick. Thankfully for you and the pet store for calling you.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Gulf coast turtles are a protected species in Florida. It's sad to see what this boxie had been through Kudos for taking him in:D

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Her legs look so scrawny. Those nails! Oyyy! So glad she found her way to you.

Ann from CT

Status
Not open for further replies.