New Red footed tortoise owner, any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capri

5 Year Member
Hello!
I'm Andrea from New Hampshire. We just got a new red footed tortoise, Capri, and I need some advice from you experienced folk. We're currently using cypress mulch for the substrate. She has a little hut to go into where it's extra humid. I've been having a hard time keeping the humidity up, especially when I'm not home to mist every few hours. (we currently are just spraying it with a spray bottle) She also has a water bowl to go in and what not but it dries up so quickly. I'm worried about it not being humid enough for her but at the same time I don't want her to get shell rot. Being a new parent is stressful :p and I want to do everything right. Any advice would be extremely helpful. Thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). If its a very young one, cover the enclosure. Pour the water in the corners to soak the underneath, while leaving the top fairly dry to prevent shell rot.

Alan RF

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
I found adding sphagnum moss and using orchid bark really increased Alan's humidity levels. I rarely have to mist now :)

Capri

5 Year Member
I am in the process of buying the book now :) We went out and bought sphagnum moss last night. She burrowed underneath it and slept there all night. We use cypress mulch and I have 2 sponges hidden in the corner. What do you suggest I cover the enclosure with? I have a small piece of wood covering the side without the lights. The humidity still isn't that great today and I've misted a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.