New pics of the Refoot and Russian pens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
I did a little updating as far as the Redfoots go. It has been really hot here, and it was worrying me a bit. I use the sprinkler during the worst heat, but I do have to go to work and be gone too...

So, I built some nice "caves" for added shade and coolness. I used huge 24" X 24" patio stones and cinder blocks. The blocks create the "legs" and the big patio stones are the roof. I also placed a piece of 2" thick pink styro insulation under the roof. It stays really nice and cool in there.

The other thing I did was to make the lattice shade area bigger, it is now 8' long vs. the 4' that it was before.

I built a small pen for the baby Redfoot, and she has here own little cave too, with a smaller more snug hide inside it.

Questions? Comments?

KristinasPictures3823.jpg

KristinasPictures3821.jpg

KristinasPictures3845.jpg

KristinasPictures3830.jpg

KristinasPictures3827.jpg

KristinasPictures3837.jpg

KristinasPictures3818.jpg

KristinasPictures3816.jpg

KristinasPictures3810.jpg

KristinasPictures3832.jpg

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
Very Nice. I like how you topped the cinder blocks on the hatchling enclosure with those bricks. It's a much more inviting color and makes it look a lot cleaner. Are those just set on top or are they cemented in in any way?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Great pictures Kristina. I am loving that cave in the last, and second to the last picture. So natural looking ...great enclosures.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Thanks both of you ;)

The smaller bricks are just set on top of the cinder blocks, not fastened or mortared in any way. I probably would have done that, BUT...

I actually don't really care for where I live. It is a long story, but we used to have a farm that we lost through no fault of our own, and so we were more or less forced to find what ever we could. I don't like living in town. In fact, I feel like it is sucking the life out of me, lol.

Anyway, what that has to do with not mortaring anything into place is that I don't plan on living here for more than a couple of more years. Cinder blocks and bricks aren't perishable :p so I plan on taking those things with me. I work hard for my money, so the things I buy are important to me, lol.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I have only had the baby for a few weeks. She was dropped off at my house after her owner could not find a new home for her through craigslist. Redfoot NERD, allegraf, and a couple of other members here breed Redfoots. One of these days, me too ;)

Michael Bird

10 Year Member!
Salt Lake City, Utah
The new caves look very comfy. I'd like to have one of those for myself to crawl into when it gets too hot! ;)

I'd keep an eye on the big torts, though, just to make sure they don't try to rip the pink insulation apart and eat it. I can't imagine that would be good for them...

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
No, it wouldn't, lol. So far no one has looked twice at it. I do plan to buy a sheet of plywood to put underneath it, but I loaned my little brother my truck and you know how that goes... I am still not sure how my poor Park Avenue survived the blocks.... :D

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I was slightly worried about the cave too, when I first built it, but have not had issues with them going off the front. It is about 10" high, not as tall as it looks, really. I figure that they survived the rocky regions of their homeland just fine, and they are probably smart enough to figure it out ;)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
suicidal russians? I like the brick one myself the best

laura13617

5 Year Member
midwest
great pics:) im working on my outdoor enclosure right now so the pics r a great inspiration!!!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Oh yes, definitely! They sit in it all the time, especially at the upper pool where the water fall is. When I got Romero, he crawled under the waterfall and didn't come out for a half an hour, lol.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Ugh *I* want to live in those enclosures!! ;)
They are incredible :)
Nelson's threatening to move if I don't spruce up his enclosure.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
LOL, they are pretty peaceful to sit and look at. I got some more Rose of Sharon and two more rose bushes today. I have some planting to do here soon!

There is an abandoned lot nearby that has some "Seven Sisters" roses just going to waste on it... I am going to go nab a couple babies of that too...

Status
Not open for further replies.