New Owner Show-and-Tell!

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Hello all, this is Puma the Leopard Tortoise. S\he is enjoying a little shade under a piece of driftwood.

This is Bell and Luna they are Marginated Tortoises. They just love to do things together like eating basking and burrowing.

Wow, they are super cute!! I love the one sticking its head out from the substrate. Glamour shot!

ErikaViolet

Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK
I just got my first tort yesterday, his name is Digger and he's (or she as it may turn out) a baby Horsfield. He turns 1 year old on 21st of June and He's very friendly!ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1460582318.947962.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1460582337.549047.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1460582358.585025.jpg

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Max is so cute!! He looks super curious and friendly!! Lucky!
I've had my tortoise for a year now, but I just joined the forum today, so I wanted to brag. :) This is Ginger, my 4 (almost 5) year old Russian tortoise. She hated it when I took the picture of her dressed up, but all I did was sit her on top of a piece of paper and balance a hat on her back. ;) I love her so much and her birthday is coming up soon! I'd bake her a cake if she could eat it. The second picture is her "natural" look. And sorry, I can't figure out how to shrink the picture. I accidentally made it too big!P7260472.JPG animal 001.JPG

amoore

Lubbock, Texas
New to the forum and new tortoise owners, my father got my son a tortoise at a local pet shop. They said it is a Hermann's Tortoise and about 1-2 years old. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1465103504.358915.jpg we want to make sure we care for our new family member properly. Please help if possible. Thank you

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Congratulations!!!! So cute! Looks healthy, too. I can't tell if it's a male or female in this photo... do you know which it is? What kind of tank/outdoor enclosure are you going to get? It is a Russian tortoise (I'm actually not sure if Herman's is another word for Russian, so they were probably correct, but just saying Russian is more common).

Alexio

Syracuse, New York
Yes that does look a lot like a testudo horsefield. ( Russian tortoise)
What kind of pet store? We're they sure he / she is Herman's? Can you post pictures of the underside and tail?

Rue

Canada
Russian's are also called Horsfield's. (Not Horsefield's, lol, I hate it when you spell something properly and it looks like you made a typo. I make enough typos as it is).

amoore

Lubbock, Texas
My husband is in the process of building a wooden turtle table for outside that we have seen on net. Right now we made a temporary home out of 50 gallon storage container, with top soil and play sand mixture. It was a locally owned pet store that's been around for 30 years. They acted like sure he was a Hermann's but looking at pictures of tortoises made me question it. I will get pictures of the tail and underside soon. Thank you to everyone for their knowledge of tortoises and for all the help!

Reactions: Rue

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Great! Yeah, I'm pretty sure your tortoise is a Russian . Mine is a Russian, and she's identical to yours! Great job with the top soil and sand mixture. I use coconut coir as it's cheap and not smelly, but you have a pretty good mixture as it is! I'm sure your tortoise will be thrilled to go outside!