Tortoisek

Hi everyone! I purchased a pair of Russians from underground reptiles and will be getting them in 2 days. I plan on keeping them outdoors in a pen. I bought wire fencing from home depot instead of plywood to make the enclosure. I am planning on covering the top too. My question is whether it is a problem if the tortoises climb up the wired fence or no.

image.png

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. It could be a problem if they fall, land on their back and can't right themselves.
Another problem is tortoises should not be kept in pairs, specially Russians. So, either cancel one of the tortoises, cuz they should have known better, or build two separate enclosures, making sure there is a sight barrier inbetween the two.

Tortoisek

I was actually reading the beginners mistakes thread right now. I will go ahead and build two enclosures then. What would you suggest about the fencing maybe add 2x4s across the bottom?
Edit: even if the pair is male and female they still dont get along?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I would go with a 1x12 like what's at the bottom of a redwood privacy fence.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I

No. The male will pester the female to the point that he either straight out injures her or stresses her to the point of decline/illness.

Two of the same sex aren't likely to be much better. You can have three females and one male in a large enclosure.

Russians are highly solitary animals; they simply do not get along.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

Both male and female are very territorial. Another tortoise is simply competition for food and space.

In the wild they roam huge distances, meet up to mate and move on. In captivity they can't move on and this leads mental bullying and/or physical, frequently bloody, fighting.

Russians should not be kept as a pair. A group of 3 or more may succeed in a very large outdoor enclosure (at least 4'x8' per tortoise) with plenty of sight barriers, but there are no guarantees.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum @Tortoisek .

Any pics of your tort(s)?

Please read the care sheet on Russian torts and ask any question whenever in doubt.

Tortoisek

This is what I made today. Any ideas on how to cover the top?

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 12

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I just cut a piece of hardware cloth big enough to overlap the front and attached it with staples and secure the front with a zip tie:

Leopard hatchling pen 3-16-14 B.jpg