New member-need some advice!

Sam I am

Location (City and/or State)
Indiana
Hello everybody, I need some help finding a good tortoise. It has to be a beginner tortoise because I've never had a tortoise before. It has to be small to medium, have a good personality, and do well in Indiana climate. Thank you!!!

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
Hey there! Many will say that good beginner tortoises are Russians, Greeks and Hermanns. I'm not sure on each specific size but none can grow larger than 8" ~ i feel Russian torts have the best personality but they all require similar care so it's a choice of how much you want to spend and if you care about appearance. Do a bit of research on all of them, good luck!

Sam I am

Indiana
Hey there! Many will say that good beginner tortoises are Russians, Greeks and Hermanns. I'm not sure on each specific size but none can grow larger than 8" ~ i feel Russian torts have the best personality but they all require similar care so it's a choice of how much you want to spend and if you care about appearance. Do a bit of research on all of them, good luck!
Thank you for the advice

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Read up everything that you can on whatever species you decide on. It will save you a lot of money and time and be far less stressful on your tortoise.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Sam welcome to the TFO from AZ. I was looking for a tort with a fur coat but I didn't see any . Sorry but I know it's cold in your area . We'll have a great tort day !

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!

Whatever species you decide upon, give it the very largest enclosure you possibly can. Tortoises are wild animals (by that I mean they are not domesticated animals) and they require a lot of space. Then, be thinking about setting it up outside for when the weather is good.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Welcome! Look up box turtles they are awesome little guys .

Sam I am

Indiana
Okay everybody, I think I'm in between Hermann's tortoise, Russian tortoise, and Box turtles. Could you guys help me figure out which one would be best for me, thank you.

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
Well a Hermann and Russian are basically the same thing. I've owned a Russian and they have great personalities but like to climb (which gets scary for the parents) and need a lot of space (all tortoises do but Russians have been known to climb the sides of their enclosures for hours if it's too small) Box turtles are cool because they eat anything basically (greens, fruit and proteins) I have an eastern box turtle and she's a character. She would need an enclosure like the forest floor with more humidity than the others.

Sam I am

Indiana
Well a Hermann and Russian are basically the same thing. I've owned a Russian and they have great personalities but like to climb (which gets scary for the parents) and need a lot of space (all tortoises do but Russians have been known to climb the sides of their enclosures for hours if it's too small) Box turtles are cool because they eat anything basically (greens, fruit and proteins) I have an eastern box turtle and she's a character. She would need an enclosure like the forest floor with more humidity than the others.
Thank you, I'm leaning toward a Russian tortoise because there's one at a reptile rescue somewhat near me.

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area