New Member from WI!

Tyanna

Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
Hi! I recently bought a Russian Tortoise from PetCo (I know...you don't have to tell me :() There weren't many places near me where I could buy one properly and I just really didn't like the idea of having one shipped to me. Should I take my tortoise to a specialized vet just to make sure he/she is okay?

Also, I'm going to post some pictures. If anyone can try and tell me how old they think he/she might be and if my tortoise is a boy or girl? Obviously, the pet store was not much help at all. Any advice on anything would be great, I've done plenty of research but I am happy to hear more info from the experts! ;)

Attachments

• IMG_0401.JPG
    IMG_0401.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0404.JPG
    IMG_0404.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0405.JPG
    IMG_0405.JPG
    836 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0407.JPG
    IMG_0407.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0408.JPG
    IMG_0408.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0411.JPG
    IMG_0411.JPG
    249.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0413.JPG
    IMG_0413.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 13

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!

1028762jld543t69m.gif

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Welcome! I don't keep Russian tortoises but yours looks to be in good shape . I would let a vet get a fecal exam to be sure it doesn't have any parasites . Also get them high sided water and food bowls out of there . Get you some of them cheap ceramic potted plant saucers for your food and water . You do know he is going to need a 4'/8' enclosure . Them guys love to run around and climb stuff . So be sure you build him something out side to put a top on it or let the top overlap . Sorry for hammering you so soon . The more info you get the better you will be able to become an awesome keeper .

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
Hi ! And welcome :D I'm also from Wisconsin !!! You are going to love this forum , I've learned so much and I keep learning something new every day :)

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
Hi ! And welcome :D I'm also from Wisconsin !!! You are going to love this forum , I've learned so much and I keep learning something new every day :)
I think your tortoise is a boy , long tail =male short =female

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Tyanna welcome to the TFO from AZ . This might help ya ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1406608268.053156.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Tyanna

Wisconsin
Thanks everyone!

Welcome! I don't keep Russian tortoises but yours looks to be in good shape . I would let a vet get a fecal exam to be sure it doesn't have any parasites . Also get them high sided water and food bowls out of there . Get you some of them cheap ceramic potted plant saucers for your food and water . You do know he is going to need a 4'/8' enclosure . Them guys love to run around and climb stuff . So be sure you build him something out side to put a top on it or let the top overlap . Sorry for hammering you so soon . The more info you get the better you will be able to become an awesome keeper .

You're not hammering, I want the best for this little guy since I know he's probably been through a lot given where I got him from. :( I took him to the vet yesterday which has a vet specialized in exotic animals and she said I have a very playful and healthy one, but she thinks it is a GIRL! We will see once Taz grows! I've replaced his food bowl with a soap holder (brand new, never used) that is almost all flat until I can get a hold of some pot saucers which will be shortly. I am aware my little Taz will need a bigger enclosure, which I am working on! We are also planning on building a pretty sweet outdoor enclosure that Taz will be in when weather permits since WI isn't always the warmest. For now I am taking him outside and letting him get plenty of exercise inside as well.

I think your tortoise is a boy , long tail =male short =female

I thought boy too! Like I stated earlier, Taz's vet said she thinks Taz is a girl due to the "belly" because it doesn't have anything where it would be able to mount the female, and that it has a bigger space around the tail for eggs, but she said it's still really early to tell!

Hello Tyanna welcome to the TFO from AZ . This might help ya View attachment 89266

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Wow this is great, thanks so much!

I already love it here!

One more question, I ordered a Zoo Med PowerSun UV Mercury Vapor Lamp 160 Watts... is this perfect for my little guy UVB & heat wise?

Hix2008

5 Year Member
I have two Russians I also bought at Petco. Very active make sure you soak them at least two times a week because I'm sure they didn't do that at the store. Also lose those colored pallet things I feed mine spring mix , cactus, & grape leaves.

Tyanna

Wisconsin
I have two Russians I also bought at Petco. Very active make sure you soak them at least two times a week because I'm sure they didn't do that at the store. Also lose those colored pallet things I feed mine spring mix , cactus, & grape leaves.

I soak mine outside twice a week. :) I was told they did it once a week but I'm sure they're just babbling. I've lost the pellets, Taz never touched them anyways! He also chows on Spring Mix and Dandelions. Working on introducing more weeds/grasses to him soon too! Thanks for the help, it's MUCH appreciated.