New member from Jersey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. T

5 Year Member
Hey fellow members. Names Travis from New Jersey. Its great to be a part of this forum. Looking to get as much information as I can on raising and caring for an Aldabra torstoise seeing as I want to get one very soon. Looking forward to the experience.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:)

Take a look at Aldabramans threads. He has a herd of them. See what your going to be getting into. Do you have the room and means to heat a large outside enclosure. They are a beautiful tortoise.

Mr. T

5 Year Member
I have the room inside while the tortoise is still young and I am moving to Arizona by the end of the year so that will be better.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Travis, and welcome to the Forum!!

I always cringe a little inside when someone says they're thinking of getting a very large specie tortoise and who lives in a climate not warm enough for the tortoise to live outside year - round. I know you think you will be moving to Arizona in the future, but plans have a way of changing and life sometimes intervenes. My advice to you is wait until you actually live in a climate where the tortoise can be housed outside with maybe just an insulated, heated shed for winter, before you get the animal.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
I ditto Yvonne. When you move and settle you can start your enclosure and be prepared. Hang around here and learn as much as you can. I was a member for months before I brought mine home. Welcome!!!

ScottishFish

5 Year Member
Scotland
Welcome to the forum

'And like the snow falls in the river,
A moment white, then melts forever'
~Robert Burns - Tam O' Shanter

0.0.1 Testudo hermanni boettgeri

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

In addition to what Yvonne said, Aldabras benefit from high humidity, sort of like a redfoot. I personally would not keep one in AZ or NJ. Any chance you could move to FL instead? :) It is certainly possible to keep one in a dry climate, but it requires a lot more work, expense and time, and its a compromise at best.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Hello and welcome. Hope you have a big yard and a fork lift them torts get big!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.