New member and searching for advice before buying Russian Tortoise

Luisinf09

I am a new member and will be purchasing a Russian tortoise before the New Year. I have already acquired the bedding hiding spots lamps bulbs and food. Looking into what would be the best housing for it. I was thinking about a 40 breeder fish tank but please give me better ideas. I live in the northeast and will be mostly indoors. I will post pictures as well. Thank you for your responses.

Best Regards.

Luis

Last edited by a moderator:

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Paris, Texas
I am a new member and will be purchasing a Russian tortoise before the New Year. I have already acquired the bedding hiding spots lamps bulbs and food. Looking into what would be the best housing for it. I was thinking about a 40 breaker fish tank but please give me better ideas. I live in the northeast and will be mostly indoors. I will post pictures as well. Thank you for your responses.

Best Regards.

Luis

Welcome Luis! I'm new here as well but these folks have been great help! You've definitely come to the right place! I'm no expert on Russians but check on the specific species tab and find Russians if you haven't already. Right temps, humidity and food make for a happy tortoise! Everything I've read and heard about Russians are that they're great! Good luck and welcome again!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Luis!

Russian tortoises require more room to roam than a 40 gallon aquarium. Gallons are measured in volume in aquariums, and what you want is floor space, not volume. If you're getting a baby, the 40 gallon will be ok for a while. Read our care sheet to get more ideas:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Hi @Luisinf09! I own a Russian tortoise that also must be kept indoors. I know outdoors is always the best place, but I just cannot do that in my current living situation. So, I started out with a 50 gallon tank for a 4 inch tortoise. She grew. Very quickly. I upgraded to the biggest tank they sold... I believe it's around 75 gallons or something? Anyways, you can start small, but you will have to increase eventually or the tortoise will keep you up all night smashing the walls.
Or build a tortoise table. I was also not talented enough to do this, so I stuck with a big tank. (Look on Kreg's list and yard sales... though you might not have Kreg's list depending where you live?) And I know many might argue that my tank is too small, but if you give your tortoise outdoor time occasionally, I believe he/she will be just fine! And welcome to the forum!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I am a new member and will be purchasing a Russian tortoise before the New Year. I have already acquired the bedding hiding spots lamps bulbs and food. Looking into what would be the best housing for it. I was thinking about a 40 breeder fish tank but please give me better ideas. I live in the northeast and will be mostly indoors. I will post pictures as well. Thank you for your responses.

Best Regards.

Luis
Hello and welcome.

Where are you planning on getting your Russian from?

Most pet stores sell wild caught near full grown tortoises that need much more floor area than your tank will provide. Your tank is suitable only for a tiny baby.

Russians are very active and need lots of floor space.

If you post photos of what you have, we can help you get things set up correctly.

The Beginner Mistakes and Russian Tortoise Care threads linked to earlier are essential reading :)

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome to the forums! There are so many experienced owners here!

Russian tortoises high energy and wired to walk for miles and miles (and miles!). An easy open table for an adult is a cheap bookcase lined with a shower curtain.

Russians live for decades so if you don't have adequate space to house one, please consider something else!

GingerLove

5 Year Member
@RosemaryDW , could you further describe this idea of the bookcase thing for a cage? Wouldn't a bookcase rot from moist soil? I'm interested in your idea!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
@RosemaryDW , could you further describe this idea of the bookcase thing for a cage? Wouldn't a bookcase rot from moist soil? I'm interested in your idea!
Knock the shelves out of a very large bookcase and lay it on its back. Line it with pond liner. Ad substrate and lights, etc and you have a tortoise table :)

Obviously, you're looking for one of suitable dimensions - 4'x8'

Luisinf09

Zilla strip light 30"
Zilla 24/7 Digital Timer
100 Watt Zoo-Med Basking Lamp
FLUKER 10" Clamp Lamp
Thermometer Temp and Humidity
Eco Earth compressed coconut Fiber expandable Substrate
Repto-cal calcium vitamin D3 powder supplement.

I'm looking for a baby Russian tortoise. I haven't determined where I will purchase it from but I'm still researching. I'm also not certain if I should get a hatchling or a juvenile. I saw the 60 gallon tank that was recommended and if I can find a shallow one I think that will be best for space. Should I get a heating pad or use a slate rock to bask on under the thermal light source. I'm a newbie and will sponge all the info I can from all of you. Thanks for the timely responses. Very appreciative.

Best Regards
Luis

Attachments

• IMG_0162.JPG
    IMG_0162.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0163.JPG
    IMG_0163.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0165.JPG
    IMG_0165.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 8

Luisinf09

Hello and welcome.

Most pet stores sell wild caught near full grown tortoises that need much more floor area than your tank will provide. Your tank is suitable only for a tiny baby.

If you post photos of what you have, we can help you get things set up correctly.

The Beginner Mistakes and Russian Tortoise Care threads linked to earlier are essential reading :)
Hello and welcome.

Dont know where to purchase from yet if you have success from a breader or a good source please share with me. I'm located in the boston. Planning of buying the tortoise by New Years.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Not too bad a selection, but the analog thermometer and hygrometer you have aren't much use.

You're better off with digital devices that can measure accurately at tortoise level rather than stuck on the wall of an enclosure. A probe type hygrometer and a temperature gun type thermometer will give the measurements you need.

The Mazuri LS tortoise food you have seems to be universally hated by tortoises. They like the regular Mazuri, but it seems most won't touch the LS.

For water you should get a terracotta plant saucer (not a reptile water bowl which is a tipping hazard) and for food a piece of flat rock or slate which will help with beak maintenance while your tort eats.

A plant spray bottle is good for misting with water.

You don't need a heat mat. Your tort needs to absorb heat from above.

You should work out the overnight low temperature in your home. If it drops below 65 F you will also need a Ceramic Heat Emitter and thermostat to keep things warm enough at night (No coloured bulbs, your tort needs darkness at night)

Timers for the daytime lamps make turning them on and off at the same time each day much easier and mean you can have a lie-in or go out without worrying.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Knock the shelves out of a very large bookcase and lay it on its back. Line it with pond liner. Ad substrate and lights, etc and you have a tortoise table :)

Obviously, you're looking for one of suitable dimensions - 4'x8'
That's brilliant!!! I might do this in the future!

Luisinf09

Not too bad a selection, but the analog thermometer and hygrometer you have aren't much use.

You're better off with digital devices that can measure accurately at tortoise level rather than stuck on the wall of an enclosure. A probe type hygrometer and a temperature gun type thermometer will give the measurements you need.

The Mazuri LS tortoise food you have seems to be universally hated by tortoises. They like the regular Mazuri, but it seems most won't touch the LS.

For water you should get a terracotta plant saucer (not a reptile water bowl which is a tipping hazard) and for food a piece of flat rock or slate which will help with beak maintenance while your tort eats.

A plant spray bottle is good for misting with water.

You don't need a heat mat. Your tort needs to absorb heat from above.

You should work out the overnight low temperature in your home. If it drops below 65 F you will also need a Ceramic Heat Emitter and thermostat to keep things warm enough at night (No coloured bulbs, your tort needs darkness at night)

Timers for the daytime lamps make turning them on and off at the same time each day much easier and mean you can have a lie-in or go out without worrying.
Returning the thermometer and going with the digital gun. Thanks good advice