New member. advice on what breed my new rescue tortoise could be

fionad1

Hello
This is my first post. We have just collected our new gorgeous pet tortoise "Ernie" from a local RSPCA animal rescue Bath UK. We have no idea what age or breed he is. The local vet thinks Spur thighed. If you recognise his breed after looking at the photos I would be so grateful. Also any idea what age he could be?
His measurements: weighs 506g (0.5kg) length 17cm (170mm) wide 15cm (150mm)
Many thanks for reading this. Fiona

Attachments

• IMG_2457 (2).JPG
    IMG_2457 (2).JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 81
  • IMG_2458 (2).JPG
    IMG_2458 (2).JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 76
  • IMG_2460 (2).JPG
    IMG_2460 (2).JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG_2236.JPG
    IMG_2236.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 73

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Fiona, and welcome to the Forum! Your vet wins the prize!!! He looks like a Testudo graeca to me too (spur thigh).

fionad1

Yeah!!! :) Thank you VERY Much! Do you any idea what his age could be with the measurements I gave? ;)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have no idea, other than to say he's full grown. The only way to know age in a tortoise is to know the actual hatch date.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Fiona welcome to the TFO from AZ, USA . Great looking tort .

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Welcome to TFO

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Hi, Fiona. Welcome to TFO. Congrats on your new tortoise! :)

May, Aussies, & Hermannis
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

turtlemanfla88

welcome and congrats on your on your new tortoise. It is a greek I do not know what subspecies it is,but someone on here will be able to tell you. Everyone is nice and willing to help each other out on here if you have any questions just ask.

fionad1

Thank you to all of you! You've been
very kind just one more question. I have placed Ernie in his table, and he has spent the last couple of days just trying to escape! Do you think he is just trying to return to his last place (outside) and will settle soon? Kind regards Fiona

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Tortoises are territorial and they usually stay within their boundaries. So now Ernie has been transplanted into a new territory and he's trying to get out so he can go home.

Go over your husbandry and re-read the Greek tortoise care sheet at the top of the Greek section and be sure that you have him set up correctly (outside would be best), and if everything is good, then stop worrying. He'll settle down after a couple weeks.

At full size, most people have their tortoises set up in outdoor pens. Is this not an option for you? They really need real sunshine.

fionad1

Hi I have bought two fabulous books, and have read so many helpful tips from this amazing site.
He has a great outdoor home with a run enclosure. However I live in the uk and the weather has started to drop. What I had planned was on warmer days let him outside, then evenings and cooler days bring him in and put him in the tortoise table. Now I'm worried this will just make him more unsettled. I got him from a animal rescue centre so I don't know any of his background. He has cost me a fortune but he is so worth the money