New male tortoise

fajita

Location (City and/or State)
southern indiana
So after having fajita for over a year now I felt confident enough to get another tortoise. I felt this way because over the course of the last year it was a bumpy ride that gradually smoothed out and now Fajita while not living outside unless I take her out is having a good time. I wake up in the mornings at 8 and I always catch her basking underneath her bulb. She has also turned into a very healthy eater "running" forwards her food as soon as it is served up. She is no longer afraid of human interaction however she doesn't like not she tolerates it as long as there is a dandelion in it for her. I've helped her through eye infections lethargy and know just what her favorite foods are. So after all that experience I wanted a male and I got one. His name is taco and he is so much smaller than fajita it's crazy. If I remember right he weighs 239 grams and currently fajita weights double that. He is so timid never fully poking his head out of his shell and slightly keeping lower to the ground by choice not by defect. Now I know that I might get a lot of flack for this but yes I did buy him from Petco the same as when I bought fajita. I have been watching this particular tortoise for a while. He was active and he didn't have any signs of infection and he was responsive. The only thing that people might consider to be off about him is his shell. He has an extra plate and it isn't perfectly symmetrical. Cynical me thought of the little kids thinking there was something wrong with him and that he would be stuck there forever and that he would never be able to experience the good side of humanity. I know and fully understand that by doing this I fed into the machine but for the,his one little guy I'm ok with it. With that being said and out of the way it's just like the first time I got fajita and I see similarities between her and him and the way that she acted when I first got her. It's funny but I go back and read my posts on here and on the Facebook groups asking all the same questions like so many people before getting a new tortoise. I can honestly say I'm so excited to watch little taco grow and thrive with me now that ive had a year to grow my knowledge and understanding even more. Thank you all for reading this and I know it's word vomit but late nights and ADHD don't mix very well. Also taco is on the left if you couldn't tell.

Attachments

• 1493008236970.jpg
    1493008236970.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 15

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Very cute :)

These two need to be kept entirely separately in quarantine for at least six months.

Take care with hygiene when handling so you don't transfer germs from one to the other

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
What @JoesMum said.
Those Petco tortoises are still mostly wild caught adults and (CAN)come with a host of issues.
Quarantine is mandatory. So is the fact that Russians are about the scrappiest tortoises out there and can not be kept as a pair.
I'll bet you already heard all of that before.
I just wanted to make sure that you are aware and can avoid some problems.