New Leopard Tortoise

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Sorry, I just now read your other thread, and I merged them into one. The same thing we've all told you about the leopard, holds true for the sulcata too.

Personally, I would have still gotten the leopard. He has a nice high-domed shell, and no signs of pyramiding. He looks pretty good to me.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just a little helpful hint for you - there's no need to start a whole new thread on the same subject. You can keep posting all your new stuff here in this thread. Makes it easier for the mods. That way we don't have to keep merging them all together for you.

bigbeaks

10 Year Member!
The leopard does have some pyramiding already. When you read all of the post about closed chambers etc.... Please, please remember if you are going to keep any tortoise that wet, you absolutely have to keep the temperature up. If you don't they will most definitely get an upper respiratory infection which is almost always deadly in young tortoises. In my opinion, someone with little or no experience shouldn't even tempt creating a closed chamber. I think it would be way too risky. Why not use a warm humid hide box instead? And as always daily soaks for the first year.

bigbeaks

10 Year Member!
This is a picture of 3 Sri Lankan stars that I raised with a simple heated humid hide box and daily soaks. These tortoises are very prong to pyramiding. image.jpg

wasabithetort

Hi @wasabithetort , and welcome to the Forum!

That's a really cute little leopard tortoise baby. If you get him and set him up in a warm, humid environment (not a rabbit cage), you probably can overcome the damage done by his dry start in life. Hay is NOT a good substrate, as you can't moisten it. Baby leopard tortoises hatch out in the monsoon season, and the heavy moisture and many, many growing plants during this season keep them hydrated and growing smoothly. Because they are so small, and it's so hot, they dehydrate very quickly. So we have to make sure to keep them hydrated. We have some very good reading for you, shown at the top of our Leopard section.

Be sure to put up pictures when you get this new baby.

I am making him a cage and only using a rabbit cage temporarily, the room he will be in will be humid and hot. I am going to separate the cage into 3 sections, wet, damp, dry. The substrate I will be using is top soil with no fertilizer or anything that can harm tortoises. I will be sure to keep you guys updated on this little fella and post lots of pictures.:)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
This is a picture of 3 Sri Lankan stars that I raised with a simple heated humid hide box and daily soaks. These tortoises are very prong to pyramiding. View attachment 126235
Beautiful tortoises. Can we see a picture straight on from the head?
As for a closed chamber, it is very easy for a newbie to set up and maintain, much easier then not. Although a humid hide can help, most of the tortoises, at least leopards and Sulcatas I have seen on here that only had a humid hide still pyramided. I agree with if the temps get too low, but that's why it is important to keep them no lower then 80 and that is stressed all the time.
This leopard would really do go in a closed chamber as its already been started on very drying hay.

bigbeaks

10 Year Member!
Beautiful tortoises. Can we see a picture straight on from the head?
As for a closed chamber, it is very easy for a newbie to set up and maintain, much easier then not. Although a humid hide can help, most of the tortoises, at least leopards and Sulcatas I have seen on here that only had a humid hide still pyramided. I agree with if the temps get too low, but that's why it is important to keep them no lower then 80 and that is stressed all the time.
This leopard would really do go in a closed chamber as its already been started on very drying hay.

This is the only picture I have access too right now that is a partial side view. I sold these tortoises a few months ago, and the first picture was their most recent.

I know first hand a very reputable breeder (and I won't name any names, but I can assure you no would would want to argue with this persons ability to raise a tortoise), that doesn't provide ANY extra humidity to their enclosures other than a light misting to keep the dust down. I'm not saying I totally agree with this, but they have done this for years! They do soak their tortoises daily until one or two years old. I personally use warm humid hides (at least 85 degrees), and soak hatchlings every day for the first 6 to 8 months, and then every other day for the next year or so. To put an animal in a totally enclosed environment, where they cannot choose for themselves what area they would like to be in just doesn't seem right to me. They are either really hot and wet, or warm and wet. Seems like there needs to be some variation, like there is in the wild. Everyone has their opinion, and I respect that. But it is very risky for a new person to attempt a closed chamber. As we all know it's much easier to make an enclosure like that humid than it is to make it warm, and keep it warm.

Attachments

• get-attachment (2).jpg
    get-attachment (2).jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 15

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
When my leopard was little and I had finally found this forum, although too late for keeping pyramiding at bay, I offered my leopard two enclosures with a tunnel between. One was very humid wet substrate all the time. The other, which I kept his food in, was mostly dry and the humidity that might have been in there would be minimal. He chose to stay on the wet humid side, except for eating. I understand your concerns about temps dropping. That can be very bad. However, with daily check ups and more then one heating device, I don't think the danger is there as much as the danger of dehydration and pyramiding. Although pyramiding is cosmetic, it really isn't just cosmetic on the inside.
Also, what always has to be kept in mind is the area the person(s) live. Yet, even in the high humdiity areas like florida, humidity still needs to be added, just maybe not in full force like a closed chamber. I have seen many pyramided tortoises born and raised in florida because of no added humidity.
It's not the only important aspect of raising a healthy tortoise, but it sure is in the top three or four.

wasabithetort

Brought home my baby the habitat is still warming up so I brought him outside for some fresh air and food while it gets warm☺️ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1429391671.317667.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1429391706.419480.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1429391726.089502.jpg

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
He's beautiful! I'm sure that if you follow the care sheets and advice of the very experienced keepers on here who only have the health and well being of your tort at heart then he should do well and it will save you a lot on vets fees too! I have had a leopard since last summer - a lot bigger than yours - and I am a complete novice but the support of everyone here has been invaluable. I wish you and your tort all the best.