Russian Tortoise Not Eating?

Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, AZ
A few days ago, Jasper stopped eating. I give him Spring Mix, and give him a new batch every morning. I take him out front for a walk, and he'll eat the grass just fine. Why won't he eat his regular food? :c

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How are you housing him? What are your four temperatures, and what equipment are you using to achieve them?

It is unusual for a russian to eat grass. He might be looking for fiber to clean himself out for hibernation.

Phoenix, AZ
How are you housing him? What are your four temperatures, and what equipment are you using to achieve them?

It is unusual for a russian to eat grass. He might be looking for fiber to clean himself out for hibernation.
His enclosure is 6 foot by 4 foot. He temperature is usually 85-90 Fahrenheit. I'm not sure what the humidity is, but I mist the topsoil (his substrate) about twice a week. Using Zoomed bulbs for basking and UVB. I have a picture of the whole enclosure in one of my posts; I'll find it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
85-90 where? There are four temperatures we need to know. Warm side, cool side, basking area and overnight low.

ZooMed makes lots of different types of bulbs. Are you using spot bulbs, MVBs, cfl type coil bulbs...?

Given what I can see, I'll bet your issue is that he is trying to go into hibernation because of the cooler temps and shorter days this time of year.

Phoenix, AZ
85-90 where? There are four temperatures we need to know. Warm side, cool side, basking area and overnight low.

ZooMed makes lots of different types of bulbs. Are you using spot bulbs, MVBs, cfl type coil bulbs...?

Given what I can see, I'll bet your issue is that he is trying to go into hibernation because of the cooler temps and shorter days this time of year.
Oh dear, sorry. 85-90 is his basking area. The rest of the enclosure is usually 75-80. Warm side is probably 80-85, and the overnight low would be 70-75.

Basking light is a spot bulb, UVB is a coil bulb.

It's good to know that he's not sick or anything, just hibernating. Thank you!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
All your temps sound fine, except the basking area. I would warm the area directly under the bulb a bit more and get it closer to 95-100. You can accomplish this with a higher wattage bulb or by lowering your current fixture a couple of inches. I also recommend against spot bulbs. They make too small of a basking area and this excessive concentrated heat can cause carapace damage. Flood or regular bulbs are a much better way to go. Changing your bulb out for something a little higher in wattage is another way to get your basking temp up a bit too.

Coil type UV bulbs can burn reptile eyes. Frequently tortoises housed under these hide all the time and refuse to eat (or just eat less) because this bulb literally hurts their eyes. Opening their eyes physically hurts and this can be enough to over come their desire to eat.

I think these threads will help you. Please take a minute to read them:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Phoenix, AZ
All your temps sound fine, except the basking area. I would warm the area directly under the bulb a bit more and get it closer to 95-100. You can accomplish this with a higher wattage bulb or by lowering your current fixture a couple of inches. I also recommend against spot bulbs. They make too small of a basking area and this excessive concentrated heat can cause carapace damage. Flood or regular bulbs are a much better way to go. Changing your bulb out for something a little higher in wattage is another way to get your basking temp up a bit too.

Coil type UV bulbs can burn reptile eyes. Frequently tortoises housed under these hide all the time and refuse to eat (or just eat less) because this bulb literally hurts their eyes. Opening their eyes physically hurts and this can be enough to over come their desire to eat.

I think these threads will help you. Please take a minute to read them:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
Well, that picture is old. I put a large, flat rock under the bulb for him to lay on. I'll lower the bulb. ^_^