New Here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

6speedtitaniumr/t

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Amarillo Texas
Hello i'm new here, i am currently located in the Texas panhandle near Amarillo.

I do not currently have a turtle or tortoise, but hope to have one in the future, after doing lots of homework on the needs and care of the animal.

My previous experience with our shelled friends was in my childhood. I lived in Garden city Kansas, and had a half dozen wild Ornate box turtles living in my back yard. I guess they stayed year after year because of the amount of food available in our backyard. We had perennials in the flower beds and a large strawberry patch. i would leave different types of lettuce on the edge of the patio from time to time as well.

I am currently a wildlife biology major and am interested in getting a tortoise that would be good for a rapidly changing environment like the Texas panhandle. for instance, our high temp yesterday was high 70's and today is low 80's but with a fairly good wind. But this can range widely day to day.

Dependent on the temps i would keep the tortoise inside otherwise it would be outside as much as possible.

What type of tortoise would you recommend for a first timer in this environment?

I was leaning toward a Greek but there is so much contradictory info on the greek, russian or cherryhead.

for instance, i read that heat pads are bad for tortoises but somewhere else i read of people using them for tortoises.

any help ya'll can provide would be most helpful.

Thanks, Ryan

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Ryan:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

I think a good first time tortoise is a Russian. They are pretty forgiving of inadvertent mistreatment. They are also cold hardy. But on the other side of the coin, they are escape artists, climbing very well. In the really hot weather, they dig down and more or less aestivate until it cools off a bit. You can't allow them to hibernate (brumate) outside unless they are in a dry spot. cold/wet=bad

You really wouldn't need a heating pad with a Russian. The first winter you would want to keep it awake and in the house, but you can just use a CHE (ceramic heat emitter), which screws into a light fixture, and lights. After the first winter, you can allow brumation and no lights or heat is required.

laramie

5 Year Member
Scottsdale, AZ
Hi Ryan and welcome to TFO. Congrats on your upcoming tort or turtle. Can't wait to see the pics!

Utah Lynn

5 Year Member
Welcome Ryan. I don't know about other torts, but I can tell you Russians are very friendly. Good Luck. :cool:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi! *waves* Amarillo where they write it with two boots as the "L"s. :D To your comment about the heat pads, it depends a lot on the why or how your using them as to how "good" they are. For instance I use mine to heat the substrate, which helps add humidity. I agree with Russians being nice, easy, hardy tortoises. Of course the Greeks, hermanns, and even the redfoot you mentioned can be pretty good too. The redfoot has the higher humidity needs, so would be a little more work for you.

6speedtitaniumr/t

5 Year Member
Amarillo Texas
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.

I appreciate your input on my question. The reason i was leaning more toward the greek was i love the shell colors/design.

Since i have been looking around, all i have yet to find locally was redfoots and russians at Petco/Petsmart. The conditions they were kept in were a little cramped and only one large russian was even moving/active. I almost thought the other one was dead, but i think i could see it breathing. I don't really want to support that.

The greeks seem to be more readily available younger and confirmed as captive born where the ones from Petco i believe have been imported wild caught. I would not like to support wild caught.

If anyone knows where i can find some russians that are captive born that would help.

Thanks, Ryan

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Welcome, Russians, greeks, or herman would be a great tort...

slowpoke

5 Year Member
colorado springs, colorado
Welcome to the forum :) there are alot of online breeders for those kind of tortoises , not sure if there are any in texas , you might have some luck in the for sale section of the forum ...

Status
Not open for further replies.