New here

Status
Not open for further replies.

KMSReptiles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I currently do not own a tortoise but plan on purchasing one really soon....
Kevin

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi Kevin! :D Welcome. It's okay that you don't have a tortoise, it's not a requirement. Love the fact your looking around about tortoise before you actually have one. Do you have a type(s) in mind?

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Welcome to the forum Kevin. Glad to see you doing research on tortoises prior to getting one. Like Jacqui asked do you have any type in mind? Or anything in particular you would like in one?

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Welcome to the forum! Looking forward to seeing which type of tortoise you choose and good for you for starting with researching them.:D

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Welcome to the forum!! Torts are great and also an addiction!!!

KMSReptiles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Im looking for one that will have some size...either a Leopard, Burmese Brown, or maybe red foots....
Kevin
Isa said:
Welcome to the forum Kevin

Good luck with your research :D

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Welcome Kevin, Redfoots and Leopards are both good starter torts though they have completely different requirements . I would not suggest a Burmese Mountain as a first tort as they are less forgiving of errors in husbandry. If you are interested in Burmese Mountains, I suggest you start with Redfoots. If you don't mind telling what part of country do you live in?

KMSReptiles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Larry..I live in Michigan...And good friends with fellow member jpeck425.
Kevin
Itort said:
Welcome Kevin, Redfoots and Leopards are both good starter torts though they have completely different requirements . I would not suggest a Burmese Mountain as a first tort as they are less forgiving of errors in husbandry. If you are interested in Burmese Mountains, I suggest you start with Redfoots. If you don't mind telling what part of country do you live in?

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I would suggest a Redfoot. I was living in Lansing when I got my first RF's and climate suits them well (higher humidity). I believe it is a little to damp for a leopard and they may be more delicate there than further west.

KMSReptiles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks Larry..Ill take you advice...I do have a friend here in michigan aswell that is Breeding Leopard Torts and has been for some time now..With little to no issue's...Now im newer to tortoises but have been keeping reptile's all my life. And realise that you must listen to others experience and go from there...Again thank you for your insite and I will consider Red Foots ...But they would be my last choice of the 3 mentioned in an earlier post.
Kevin

Itort said:
I would suggest a Redfoot. I was living in Lansing when I got my first RF's and climate suits them well (higher humidity). I believe it is a little to damp for a leopard and they may be more delicate there than further west.

jpeck425

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Michigan
KMSReptiles said:
I currently do not own a tortoise but plan on purchasing one really soon....
Kevin

Hey friend,
Ready to take the plunge, huh? :) I agree with some of the other opinions, Redfoot tortoises are great for our area and have some wonderful attributes (Interactive, very colorful, personable, wide diet, easy to find captive produced, more social if you want several, large without becoming difficult to accomodate). They would be an excellent choice for a beginner and advanced keeper.

You should come over and look at the different ones that I have before you decide.

Be well
Jeff

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Hello and welcome to TFO!! I have to agree with Larry the redfoot would be much better choice, What you need to think about is where are you going to keep them in the winter?? Anyways welcome to tfo!!

KMSReptiles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Jen...Thanks for the input..But I've decieded and Leopards are my choice...Ill keep everyone updated on there progress...

james

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
san diego
KMSReptiles said:
Jen...Thanks for the input..But I've decieded and Leopards are my choice...Ill keep everyone updated on there progress...

leopards are amazing looking! good luck with it. this site is full of caring people with great feedback. not an unanswered question yet!

KMSReptiles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks, William & James....Ill keep everyone posted on there growth ..
Kevin

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Congrats on your choice. Have you gotten them yet?? Can't wait to see photos..

Status
Not open for further replies.