New here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeaceTurtle

5 Year Member
Hi Everyone,
I am Kate...or sometimes my daughter will post and she is Grace. I already love it here, not only because of all of the great information, but also because when I look at the signatures it makes me feel better about my zoo! We are getting ready to get a tortoise for my daughter (12). We live in central Indiana so the weather is...unpredictable at best! We are looking at the smaller types--Hermann's and Greek are our favorites. I have heard the Hermann's are more outgoing but that the Greeks will do better in Indiana. He/she will probably be inside much of the time with trips outside when its warm enough so I'm not really sure why that matters. Any suggestions? Such a dilemma! Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Kate:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

You're going to feel right at home here.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
WELCOME :D I can't help you with your choice, but I am sure you will get a few opinions soon. Good luck.

Scout Mom

5 Year Member
NW of Chicago
Hi Kate,

Thanks for joining, its nice to have you with us. I'm new also and have already learned a ton just from checking things out over the past few weeks before signing up.

Valery

PeaceTurtle

5 Year Member
Hi Guys!
My mom was telling you about me earlier, but just in case you forgot (you guys wouldn't) my name is Grace. I have wanted a turtle for a long time and used to bug my mom about getting a Greek Tortoise. I kinda want a baby, but want to know what is best for me. I am 12 and have 2 younger siblings that think a turtle would be cool, too( I will keep it in my room, so hopefully they won't mess with him/her). I don't really know if a baby, "toddler", or an adult turtle would be better for me. HELP!?!?!?
-:tort:[/align][/font]Grace:tort:

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
Hi grace! Welcome to you both. I think that as long as you do your research, have your moms support and plan to be a dedicated tort owner yourself you should get exactly what you want. I don't keep Greeks personally but there is plenty of info on this forum if you look for it. If we were talking about one of the bigger guys (sulcata, leopard) climate would be a much bigger factor but if you want a Greek and only take him out whenever it's sunny it's less of a big deal. So if you want a baby Greek as long as you set up a lovely house for him (I don't keep them so I couldn't tell you what that would be ;)), get him from a good breeder and feed him proper variety your baby Greek should be very happy with you.

I also think getting them young has the added advantage of adaptability, if you have a busy house they will grow up used to that ( and used to being loved of course) so they won't be shy about it....a shy adult could have trouble adjusting.

PeaceTurtle

5 Year Member
ShadowRancher said:
Hi grace! Welcome to you both. I think that as long as you do your research, have your moms support and plan to be a dedicated tort owner yourself you should get exactly what you want. I don't keep Greeks personally but there is plenty of info on this forum if you look for it. If we were talking about one of the bigger guys (sulcata, leopard) climate would be a much bigger factor but if you want a Greek and only take him out whenever it's sunny it's less of a big deal. So if you want a baby Greek as long as you set up a lovely house for him (I don't keep them so I couldn't tell you what that would be ;)), get him from a good breeder and feed him proper variety your baby Greek should be very happy with you.

I also think getting them young has the added advantage of adaptability, if you have a busy house they will grow up used to that ( and used to being loved of course) so they won't be shy about it....a shy adult could have trouble adjusting.

Thanks!! I'll tell my mom that you said a baby would adjust better!!
~Grace

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Welcome to the forum, Kate and Grace!

I'm not terribly knowledgeable in either species, but it's my understanding that Hermmans are more cold-tolerant than the various Greek subspecies. A more cold-tolerant species would likely do better in your unpredictable climate, at least for the outdoor months... So, just a little food for thought.

However, both are rather small species, who can thrive just fine living primarily indoors (though they still, undoubtedly, do best with outdoor time during the warmer months!). If you'd rather have a Greek, then go for it! Keep in mind there are several different sub-species of Greek. You may want to research them, and try to find one that both appeals to you and is on the more "cold-tolerant" end of the Graeca spectrum... If that makes sense :p

As far as baby vs adult, an adult would undoubtedly be hardier, aka more tolerant of mistakes and the like. However, there's nothing quite like raising your own from a hatchling. Weigh the pros and cons before you decide. If you're confident that you can provide the proper care to the higher standard that hatchling tortoises demand, then get your baby. If you're worried there may be a learning curve, and associated problems as you get used to your tortoise and caring for it, then you may want to consider going with the hardier, better established adult.

Good luck with your decision, and, remember, you can never stop learning when it comes to animals! Learn as much as you can before you get your tortoise, and keep learning, from your tortoise and from places like this forum, even after! :)

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Welcome to the Forum Kate and Grace!

I am a Sulcata owner and know very little about Greeks or any small torts for that matter but I can tell you that getting a hatchling is like getting a young pup. It needs more care and attention to details (enviromentaly), not to mention cute as a button (and about the same size). However, mistakes at this age can be disasterous... so do your research, know what your getting into and ABOVE all else....have fun and enjoy your new family member!

Status
Not open for further replies.