NEW HERE! Need help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luvthemtorts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southeast
Fill the container with lukewarm water until it just comes up to or slightly over the lip of the plastron. The water level should be below their mouth and nares when their head is retracted into the shell.
I hate to keep asking but you are with me on the humid hide right? When using a substrate that holds little to no moisture it is a vital part of the puzzle.

Luvthemtorts

5 Year Member
Southeast
Zenchew,
Fine looking little critters you got there.
Looks like the soaking is working very well. Your enclosure is a bit on the small side and has no basking light. I'm assuming you aren't using a UVB bulb since they get exposure to sunlight daylight but they still need a temperature gradient within the enclosure. Also we need to work a little bit on your humid microhabitat lest your hay get mouldy.
Be very careful with your enclosure next to the window like that. Make sure that it doesn't heat up as the sun shines through and get too hot for them.
I'll try to snap a pick or two of a humidity box tonight so you can see what I am referring to.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
They have such beautiful shells. They are a very handsome little pair.;)

Next time, post some "face shots" if you can!:p

zenchew

5 Year Member
Luvthemtorts said:
Zenchew,
Fine looking little critters you got there.
Looks like the soaking is working very well. Your enclosure is a bit on the small side and has no basking light. I'm assuming you aren't using a UVB bulb since they get exposure to sunlight daylight but they still need a temperature gradient within the enclosure. Also we need to work a little bit on your humid microhabitat lest your hay get mouldy.
Be very careful with your enclosure next to the window like that. Make sure that it doesn't heat up as the sun shines through and get too hot for them.
I'll try to snap a pick or two of a humidity box tonight so you can see what I am referring to.

Yup, after i put them in then i realise my enclourse is small... will need to upgrade in a few mths time.. lol..

i will be getting a uvb light for them.. as that is not their permanent place.. i only brought them out to sun for an hour yst (while i took photo of them).

and yes.. the soaking work very well..

one more question regarding the uvb... is the uvb suppose to be a heating gradient? how much temperature increase from the ambient temperature on the enclosure if were to put uvb?

right now the ambient temperature here is 88-90F... n the ambient humidilty is 80-90percent.. that is the normal temperature and humidilty in my country..
do i still need a humid hide?

btw, thanks for all the advices.. =)

zenchew

5 Year Member
more pics!!

just bought an UV lamp...

IMG_0654.JPG

IMG_0655.JPG

IMG_0661.JPG

IMG_0664.JPG

can i feed my stars chrysanthemum flowers?

how about aloe vera?

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Where is their hiding place? They need to be able to get away from the light.

zenchew

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Where is their hiding place? They need to be able to get away from the light.

still looking for a hide..
but i do not on the light 24/7..
only about 1-2hrs a day...

Luvthemtorts

5 Year Member
Southeast
I'd upgrade before a few months time honestly. Your basking light is too big for the enclosure and probably does not provide a proper temperature gradient.
I am honestly a little bit concerned because you have been given good information regarding Elegans care but the enclosure is still not ideal or setup for their long term well being.
You have apparently healthy animals so I will finish by saying that Elegans can and do crash hard and fast so why not take the time to set them up correctly to ensure their good health.
You need a larger enclosure, proper photoperiods, proper basking and ambient temperatures and a humid microclimate or you are taking a gamble.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I think you need to upgrade it tomorrow because otherwsie you can have some stressed and sick hatchlings on hand. You need multiple hides in multiple temperature zones. They each need their own in each temperature zone. I also think if you want to use hay (I think there are better options), you need to chop it up as they cannot walk steadily on that. Be careful of them climbing and flipping on that thing right under the light. Under a heat source or in water is especially dangerous if they flip over. What is the current temperature gradient? I think you need to go something like 5-10 times that size... So cute! Best wishes. If you turn on the bulb 1-2 hours a day, what do you do for heat the rest of their day? How does the temperature vary for them during the day, and then what is it at night?

Luvthemtorts

5 Year Member
Southeast
Two to three times that size enclosure is ample for those animals. 10 times is extreme overkill. Elegans are not especially active animals so do not need, and for the most part, will not utilize a massive enclosure. They tend to bask, eat and hide and then repeat the cycle.
Zenchew has been given some sound advice regarding the care of his new animals however I almost get the feeling its falling on deaf ears. The use of a humid microhabitat has been touched on many times yet he still has not provided one (or more).
Temperature gradient suggestions appear to have been ignored as well.
I hope for the animals' sake that he will rethink his approach thus far and try to set up something more suited for the animals before its too late.

zenchew

5 Year Member
Hi tortoisenerd n luvthemtorts,

thanks for ur concerns. I m trying my best to provide them what best.

May I know where do u guys staying at?

samstar

5 Year Member
1-2 hours of light a day is too little unless they are getting a lot of natural sunlight. You would need to turn on the UVB/UVA lights for about 8-12 hours a day.

zenchew

5 Year Member
samstar said:
1-2 hours of light a day is too little unless they are getting a lot of natural sunlight. You would need to turn on the UVB/UVA lights for about 8-12 hours a day.

ok guys...

maybe u guys didnt get me right..

ok..
the temperature in the enclosure box in the day is 30 degree Celcius (without any lighting or heating pad).

the temperature in the night is 26-28 degree Celcius (without light or heating pad or heater or watever)

so if i on the lights for 8hrs, they will be cooked...

and the humidity in the enclosure is 70percent. do i still need to put humid microclimate??

I M staying near the Equator... THAT means my temperature n climate n humidity is about the same as india.. which is where the torts came from....

i believe u guys stay in the US, which has 4 seasons... we r not so lucky here, we got spring thru out the year....

i hope these info is useful..

squirturtle

5 Year Member
Icic zenchew i think i noe where u r located... =)

just settled my torty down, will post some pics soon.. thanks guys

zenchew

5 Year Member
squirturtle said:

u from the same country i came from??

great...

keep in contact k...

squirturtle

5 Year Member
zenchew said:
squirturtle said:

u from the same country i came from??

great...

keep in contact k...

sure u can pm me =) we can share supplements.

Luvthemtorts

5 Year Member
Southeast
Zenchew,
I understand you are not from the states and read your temperatures before but I'm a bit confused on a few things.
You mention the ambient temps are 30c degrees during the day. Just so I have this straight, your saying you don't have air conditioning and the INSIDE of your home is 86F degrees and the humidity INSIDE is 70% as well?
If that is truly the case then you need to find the coldest area of your home to house the enclosure in. The animals need a thermal gradient instead of one constant temperature throughout in order to recreate their natural tendency to bask, forage and then retreat to a sheltered area.
Please understand that the advice you are being given is not a personal attack but rather an effort to keep your tortoises healthy.

zenchew said:
samstar said:

ok guys...

maybe u guys didnt get me right..

ok..
the temperature in the enclosure box in the day is 30 degree Celcius (without any lighting or heating pad).

the temperature in the night is 26-28 degree Celcius (without light or heating pad or heater or watever)

so if i on the lights for 8hrs, they will be cooked...

and the humidity in the enclosure is 70percent. do i still need to put humid microclimate??

I M staying near the Equator... THAT means my temperature n climate n humidity is about the same as india.. which is where the torts came from....

i believe u guys stay in the US, which has 4 seasons... we r not so lucky here, we got spring thru out the year....

i hope these info is useful..

zenchew

5 Year Member
Luvthemtorts said:
Zenchew,
I understand you are not from the states and read your temperatures before but I'm a bit confused on a few things.
You mention the ambient temps are 30c degrees during the day. Just so I have this straight, your saying you don't have air conditioning and the INSIDE of your home is 86F degrees and the humidity INSIDE is 70% as well?
If that is truly the case then you need to find the coldest area of your home to house the enclosure in. The animals need a thermal gradient instead of one constant temperature throughout in order to recreate their natural tendency to bask, forage and then retreat to a sheltered area.
Please understand that the advice you are being given is not a personal attack but rather an effort to keep your tortoises healthy.

yup.. i place them in the living room, my living room got no air con.. and yup.. in the afternoon around 12pm.. the temp will hit as high as 86-87F. then during the night will be at 78F - 83F..

they r place at the coolest area in my house now.. =)

yup.. humidilty is 70percent..

i m making a hide for them.. i have seensquirturtle pic.. will follow what he do..

Luvthemtorts

5 Year Member
Southeast
In light of that information I would definitely use a humid microhabitat. Use a plastic shoebox and cut an opening in the side from the bottom up leaving the rim intact so it will fit snuggly. Place damp sphagnum moss, topsoil or coconut coir inside and place it away from the basking light. The darkness and humidity will allow the animals a cooler place to escape the ambient tmeperatures.
To sum it up. Larger enclosure with a basking light on one end that reaches approximately 95 degrees, ambient temps in the remainder of the enclosure will be in the upper 80's as per your information and the hide box on the opposite end will allow the animals to cool down.
Just make sure to keep whatever material you use in the box moist (but not dripping wet) to ensure evaporation produces the cooling effect. Your night time lows will not harm the tortoises even if they choose to sleep in the hidebox.
I think we got you all squared away now and if you follow these simple instructions chances are they will continue to thrive and have excellent growth.

Status
Not open for further replies.