New here from ohio

Oso

Location (City and/or State)
Euclid, Oh
Hi! I just joined and am doing research on getting a tortoise. I have always loved the tortoises where I work (petsmart) and have always considered getting one. I haven't really jumped on it do to the lack of space but I have an empty 50 gallon national geographic reptile tank (its a long story why its empty :( ) After reading on this website I realize that everything I was taught about tortoises at work is completely wrong and to some extent dangerous for them! I am glad I found this forum for both myself and the costumers at work that ask me for animal care advise. I think I have narrowed it down to either a greek or hermann's tortoise. I would like to keep my tortoise inside during the winter months so I am looking for one of the smaller species. Is it better to get a young hatchling or an older tortoise? I know I don't want a wild caught animal. All of the tortoises that petsmart sells are wild caught and that is something that I simply don't agree with and won't support.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello,and Welcome:). Would love for you to not only apply the correct care info that you learn here and apply it to your own future tortoise, but please, get it back to corporate petsmart. The pet store industry really needs to update their care instructions for many of the animals they sell.

Oso

Euclid, Oh
Thanks :) and unfortunately that isn't likely to happen. There are several things that a vast majority of employees disagree with (regarding animal care) and they won't change a thing. The company did just switch ownership so we will see where it goes from there.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!!

1028762jld543t69m.gif

kdub

Clearwater, FL
Welcome!
If the employees agree that there must be changes in animal care you could start a petition on change.org Maybe they'd listen if thousands of people worldwide signed it. There are a lot of animal lovers in the world, it would be difficult to ignore something that so many people feel strongly about.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome! ! ! Good to have you here ! ! Welcome.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
Look at the care sheets on here about different tortoises. Also look at the enclosures .

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Hello and welcome, neighbor! I live just a few minutes from you!

Oso

Euclid, Oh
I was wondering about the enclosure. I saw the designs for the tortoise table and it is definitely something that I will end up doing in the future. Is the 50 gallon national geographic terrarium sufficient for a hatchling until it starts to get bigger? it has a 150 w basking dome on it and a 10.0 reptisun uvb light strip mounted on the inside. I do have a bearded dragon as well and I usually just leave the doors open and she can roam around the basement while we are home to supervise her. My dog grew up around reptiles and has learned to simply ignore them, so I'm not worried about the tortoise around him.