New here and considering a tortoise!

Status
Not open for further replies.

leftycrane

5 Year Member
Hello all. I am new here to the forums, but have been reading through here for a few weeks, doing research and generally snooping. I have recently become addicted to tortoises through the expos that roll into town a couple times a year and decided that I want to get one of my own. I have corn snakes, ball pythons and crested geckos, so I am not new to reptiles, just getting my feet wet with torts recently.
I live in central Florida and was curious as to what species would be best suited to my areas conditions? I have a backyard, although there are 2 dogs in it. But if I get a tort Id make sure he got his own privately sectioned off piece of the yard.
I really like leopards, red or yellow foots, greeks and russians. I definitely want a species that stays relatively small. Does anyone have any recommendations as to what they think is best? Thank you very much for any and all help.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
WELCOME!
Dogs can be a huge issue.. you will need to 100% block off an area if you want tortoise. Either of those choices are good.
keep reading hear and start looking...

Creedence

5 Year Member
Sacramento, CA
Red/yellowfoots would be great for Florida. But if you want something on the smaller side, Cherryheads would be good :) Good luck!

leftycrane

5 Year Member
Thank you both for the reply. I figured having dogs and torts would be hard so I was expecting to have to seclude them from each other. I didn't know cherry heads were smaller, I thought they were just red foots with red heads haha. Thank you again for the info and hopefully I will be posting an update within the next few months

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! I would not say Cherryheads are smaller then the "other" redfoots.

Creedence

5 Year Member
Sacramento, CA
Jacqui said:
Hi and welcome! I would not say Cherryheads are smaller then the "other" redfoots.

My bad, the ones I've seen are slightly smaller. I know it's not by much, I was just saying. thanks for the correction!

tink737

10 Year Member!
Illinois
I like the red foots but have a real affection for the stars.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I am going to say if you want a social, tort...redfoot is your tort..they are very social..mine follows me everywhere and comes when i call him...

leftycrane

5 Year Member
Aw that is so cute! I'm def leaning more towards the red or yellow foots. Thanks all for the warm welcome and help!

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
The humidity in Florida would be wonderful for a Redfoot.

I can personally vouch on them being social, as well.

They do get a bit bigger than the other torts you mentioned, but are still generally on the smaller size.

Having prior reptile experience is a huge help, I've found.

Another smaller tort, is the hermann's. But I'm sure whichever you decide on, you will be very happy with. Redfoots require a bit more humidity and have different needs (As do all different torts), however, as I said, Florida would be wonderful for one. And given your already used to caring for reptiles, I think you would be able to care for one quite well.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Hi & welcome! You live in the perfect climate for any of the tort's you mentioned. I am partial to leopards and think that I e will do very well with what you have described. I am excited to see what you choose, keep us posted.

leftycrane

5 Year Member
Awesome, thanks guys! The tricky part is going to be convincing my husband haha! I am going to an expo in February, so an update will definitely be forthcoming! Thanks so much for all the help and advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.