New From Bay area in Cali

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanW

5 Year Member
Just got a baby about the size of a handball.... seems healthy and is eating everyday so far...I do not have a name for the baby yet but we are working on it. My daughter is calling it potato...not sure about that name....Im feeding it roman lett and timothy hay with the calcium powder and vitamin. Im also soaking it everyday for 30 min.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello and welcome. What species is potato?

Most species won't eat dry hay when they are small. There are much better choices than romaine for food too. Try some endive, escarole, collards, cilantro, carrot tops, Spring mix, or even better learn to ID the dozens of good weeds and feed those.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!

Minority1

5 Year Member
Welcome to the forums.

I would like to know the species of tortoise as well.

If you know any local breeders in the bay area please let me know. Having no luck finding any near my neck of the woods.

LolaMyLove

10 Year Member!
Walnut Creek, Ca
I'm in the same boat, east bay, try the East Bay Vivarium in Berkeley. That's all I have found in this area.

Minority1

5 Year Member
littleatella said:
I'm in the same boat, east bay, try the East Bay Vivarium in Berkeley. That's all I have found in this area.

I'm looking for captive bred. I haven't been to EBV but it seems like another retail shop that flips animals. Just my opinion.

AlanW

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Hello and welcome. What species is potato?

Most species won't eat dry hay when they are small. There are much better choices than romaine for food too. Try some endive, escarole, collards, cilantro, carrot tops, Spring mix, or even better learn to ID the dozens of good weeds and feed those.

Potato is a Sulcata. Thanks for the tips on food.

AlanW

5 Year Member
Eastbay Vivarium is where I got Potato. They are really good and fun to just look around.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
I am not that far from yo, over here in Sacramento. Welcome to the forum. I have had a couple of my rescues come to me from East Bay Vivarium. I have never purchased from them myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.