New family members

Aubs1220

5 Year Member
I am getting 2 tortoises in a rehoming situation. A sulcata and a Russian. I don't have all the information yet, but it sounds like they've been housed together for a few years. The Sulcata is supposedly around 40 lbs.
I've never thought about cohabitating species, especially with such a big size difference. Should I look into separating them? If it is ok what special precautions/ enclosure set up tips should I do?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Yes, you definitely should plan for separate enclosures for the two tortoises.

Russians are escape artists, so he should have a safe enclosure with capped fencing so he can't climb out. Make sure there is no daylight showing at the bottom of the fence or he will dig at that spot to escape. The enclosure should be large enough that he can do lots of wandering, something Russian tortoises are used to doing in the wild. Russians may eat newly sprouted grass, but don't really prefer grass, so broad-leaf plants and weeds in the enclosure will give him something to browse on.

The sulcata will march around the perimeter of his yard daily. This is just what they do, so you want secure fencing that he can't see out of and that he can't push over. They are very strong. I prefer that m sulcata doesn't dig a burrow, so I have provided him with a heated, insulated shelter so he doesn't feel the need to dig a burrow. Build his shelter under a tree so it's in permanent shade. There should also be a couple of large shrubs that he can shelter under. They like to sit in a mud puddle and fling mud up over their back. There should be plenty of hardy grass for him to graze on. Bermuda grass is one of the hardiest types.

Aubs1220

5 Year Member
Yes, you definitely should plan for separate enclosures for the two tortoises.

Russians are escape artists, so he should have a safe enclosure with capped fencing so he can't climb out. Make sure there is no daylight showing at the bottom of the fence or he will dig at that spot to escape. The enclosure should be large enough that he can do lots of wandering, something Russian tortoises are used to doing in the wild. Russians may eat newly sprouted grass, but don't really prefer grass, so broad-leaf plants and weeds in the enclosure will give him something to browse on.

The sulcata will march around the perimeter of his yard daily. This is just what they do, so you want secure fencing that he can't see out of and that he can't push over. They are very strong. I prefer that m sulcata doesn't dig a burrow, so I have provided him with a heated, insulated shelter so he doesn't feel the need to dig a burrow. Build his shelter under a tree so it's in permanent shade. There should also be a couple of large shrubs that he can shelter under. They like to sit in a mud puddle and fling mud up over their back. There should be plenty of hardy grass for him to graze on. Bermuda grass is one of the hardiest types.

Thanks! Yeah, I've never cohabited more than one species before so I was surprised they were together. We are getting to winter time here in the midwest so I am getting indoor setups built as we speak! But those are all great tips for next year! Thanks again!