Can Russians smell other Russians kept nearby?

qtq_uwu

Location (City and/or State)
Richardson, TX
Hello all,

I recently upgraded the enclosure for my two male Russian tortoises, a process which included separating them. I had them for a while together with no issues but when I upgraded their enclosure it reactivated their territorial instincts, so I separated them into tiered enclosures, essentially just meaning one is above the other. They've been doing alright for a while now, but I worry: I've heard of male Russians being able to smell females housed nearby, but can they also smell other males? If so, can being housed so close to each other still cause them to be stressed by the other's presence?

Usually I think it would make sense to simply observe and see if they're stressed by the other, but given that I had them together for so long (a mistake in hindsight) it's possible my baseline for their behaviors is shaped by how they act when stressed by each other.

Apologies if this question has already been answered; I tried searching but couldn't find anything about it.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I would think each would be aware of the other's presence and possibly be stressed by it, but to what extent? Certainly separation was a great move anyway!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I know that my male REDFOOT that lives alone in his own 350 sf Batchelor pad knows if there is a female anywhere. He gets very aggressive and agitated and tries to climb out of his enclosure.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello all,

I recently upgraded the enclosure for my two male Russian tortoises, a process which included separating them. I had them for a while together with no issues but when I upgraded their enclosure it reactivated their territorial instincts, so I separated them into tiered enclosures, essentially just meaning one is above the other. They've been doing alright for a while now, but I worry: I've heard of male Russians being able to smell females housed nearby, but can they also smell other males? If so, can being housed so close to each other still cause them to be stressed by the other's presence?

Usually I think it would make sense to simply observe and see if they're stressed by the other, but given that I had them together for so long (a mistake in hindsight) it's possible my baseline for their behaviors is shaped by how they act when stressed by each other.

Apologies if this question has already been answered; I tried searching but couldn't find anything about it.
I think they CAN smell each other, but I think they will desensitize and settle in just fine.

More info here:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My two male leopards live side by side outside and can actually see each other, if they want to look thru the weeds. They don't seem bothered and they go about their own business.