New enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amber_123

5 Year Member
Okay so I know if said this for weeks but I'm building a tort table for my sulcata. My mom thinks the one I plan on building now is too expensive and difficult so I was wondering if this will work. So the other table plan used seed trays to hold the substrate I can add pictures of it. I was going to just build a rectangle and fit those 5-6 of those in it because I can make one rocks, one witha grass etc.. Does this sound good? I want it simple and cheap :) also what are your top three plants to keep in there to grow for a sulcata? Thanks all suggestions are appreciated hope al, y'all who celebrate have a wonderful easter! :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
How old and how big is your sulcata? A tortoise table is not a good way to house a baby sulcata. Too cool and too dry and much too difficult to try to maintain the correct conditions in. Once they are big enough that humidity doesn't matter as much, a tortoise table is much too small.

A closed chamber is the way to go. Uses a fraction of the electricity and makes it very easy to maintain ideal conditions.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-32333.html

I like the tray idea, but it will be much easier to just have a place or two inside the enclosure that you can sink a tray into the substrate.

Without some substantial lighting, most plants will not grow very well in an indoor enclosure. Growing plants in trays and rotating them in and out of the enclosure for grazing will work much better. Grass should be your main food. Broadleaf weeds and some "testudo" seed mix will work very well too.

Steve_McQueen

5 Year Member
Amber_123 said:
I want it simple and cheap

You picked the wrong species if you want simple and cheap... Properly cared for, they can get to 12"+ in under two years time. I use the biggest seed trays that I can find, and those are 10" x 21." Lining six of those up would barely be suitable for a hatchling Sulcata. Plus, they're burrowers. You need to give them some depth, and seed trays won't allow for that.

Go with Tom's idea for a closed chamber design. I use one, and it's incredibly easy to keep the temperature and humidity where it needs to be.

Amber_123

5 Year Member
Tom said:
How old and how big is your sulcata? A tortoise table is not a good way to house a baby sulcata. Too cool and too dry and much too difficult to try to maintain the correct conditions in. Once they are big enough that humidity doesn't matter as much, a tortoise table is much too small.

A closed chamber is the way to go. Uses a fraction of the electricity and makes it very easy to maintain ideal conditions.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-32333.html

I like the tray idea, but it will be much easier to just have a place or two inside the enclosure that you can sink a tray into the substrate.

Without some substantial lighting, most plants will not grow very well in an indoor enclosure. Growing plants in trays and rotating them in and out of the enclosure for grazing will work much better. Grass should be your main food. Broadleaf weeds and some "testudo" seed mix will work very well too.

How do I build a closed chamber?

Status
Not open for further replies.