NEW BOY

Status
Not open for further replies.

THEMANTORTOISE

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
uk
[/color]Hello all.My name is Terry & i live in the west midlands uk.My family is currently 11 strong,me,partner,5 children,1 med spur thigh (zippy) 9 yrs old,1 leopard (remba) 3 yrs old & 2 red foots (tiny & big red) 1.5 yrs old.I will start with zippy first,i took zippy in when he was about 3 yrs old he was my sisters but she could not care for him properly as she worked alot & in turn he was left to his own devices,6 years on & he's a completly different fella.Zippy has complete access to the house & garden (sort of rouge) lol, i've tryed him in tort tables,vivs,outside enclosures but the big fella will have none of it(strong minded) lol.anyway thats enough of the zipster for now.
Moving on to Remba,remba is a 3 year old leopard tortoise.I first met remba when i went to look for two hermans torts for a freind in a pet store,& there she was looking up at me with her beautiful eyes being kept in what i can only describe as a goldfish bowl.The second she looked at me she was home lol, now remba has a 6 by 2 table & a 8 by 6 outdoor enclosure for when the weathers good which she loves.
Now for the terrible due big red & tiny,i had wanted red foots from the first time i had seen one in a reptile store,about a yr ago i had the chance to get some so of i set again on a mission for my 2 babies lol & on my journeys bumped into red & tiny,& again as soon as i saw them,they were home.When i bought the pair they had a little case of shell rot so then came a trip to the chemists & now you wouldnt ever tell they had it.Red & tiny live in a 4 by 2 table & have plans in the works for a outdoor enclosure for them(& 1 for the
[/size]kids lol),when the weathers good i take there table outdoors.Well thats my introduction to Zippy,Remba,big red & tiny.Thank you for reading & pics to follow soon.:tort:

KimandKarasi

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
Welcome! :D I'm glad to see you have such a passion for your little guys :) keep up the good work! :D :tort:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Terry:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!! Nice intro, I feel like I almost know you and your family. :D

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Welcome to the Forum!

You say "Spur Thigh"... is that a Greek or a Sulcata? (I'm assuming Sulcata)

Sulcatas ROCK!

THEMANTORTOISE

5 Year Member
uk
Zamric said:
Welcome to the Forum!

You say "Spur Thigh"... is that a Greek or a Sulcata? (I'm assuming Sulcata)

Sulcatas ROCK!

Sorry, i would love a sulcatas but im afraid its a greek (med spur thigh) graeca ibera. :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome from another Brit :)

I can't help smiling... In the UK, we see spur-thigh and assume Greek (Ibera or TGG usually)... in the US people seem to assume Sulcata! :)

THEMANTORTOISE

5 Year Member
uk
Lol, i think i would need a bigger house & garden if i was to get a sulcata.I swear zippy my spur thigh thinks he's one of the kids,he will chase them around all day long :p.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

Nice group of tortoises. I would love to know more details about Remba. He is particularly smooth and looks very healthy. I'd love to know how old/big he was when you got him, how he was housed, diet, soaking routine, etc...

THEMANTORTOISE

5 Year Member
uk
Hello there,Remba is a three year old female leopard(or so i was told) judging from the size of her i would say shes about that.In the pet store she was kept in a 2 by 1 fish tank,not good i asked why she was being kept in it and got told she had not long came to them,they shouldnt of taken her in if they had no space for her but in one way im glad because she would never have found me.She is mainly fed on a diet of weeds,grasses & flower heads,loves a good old dandelion with a bit of chick weed on the side lol with nutrobal 2-3 times aweek & calci dust on the others .She gets soaked at least twice a week but she also has a big cat litter tray half full in her table that she sits in daily.Remba was quite shy when we first got her so her name was to be shyler untill i looked at her & thought you really are beautiful,so looked up the african word for beautiful & can came back with remba,shes still a little shy untill she gets outside into her enclosure then its another story lol.She really is a lovely tortoise & sooooo glad she came to us. :)

THEMANTORTOISE said:
Hello there,Remba is a three year old female leopard(or so i was told) judging from the size of her i would say shes about that.In the pet store she was kept in a 2 by 1 fish tank,not good i asked why she was being kept in it and got told she had not long came to them,they shouldnt of taken her in if they had no space for her but in one way im glad because she would never have found me.She is mainly fed on a diet of weeds,grasses & flower heads,loves a good old dandelion with a bit of chick weed on the side lol with nutrobal 2-3 times aweek & calci dust on the others .She gets soaked at least twice a week but she also has a big cat litter tray half full in her table that she sits in daily.Remba was quite shy when we first got her so her name was to be shyler untill i looked at her & thought you really are beautiful,so looked up the african word for beautiful & can came back with remba,shes still a little shy untill she gets outside into her enclosure then its another story lol.She really is a lovely tortoise & sooooo glad she came to us. :) & sorry nearly forgot,she was about a year and half when we got her.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Very interesting. Thanks for the info. What substrate has she been on and what is the humidity in her enclosure?

THEMANTORTOISE

5 Year Member
uk
I use cypress mulch for substrate & try to keep humidity at around 50 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.