new baby leopard tortoise eating

miels

Location (City and/or State)
Lee's Summit, MO
hi, I have a leopard tortoise that I got yesterday, he's about 3 months old. I did a lot of research before I got him, and I've had turtles and chameleons in the past, so I think my research is good, but he won't eat anything that isn't green, I've given him a lot of different food options, but he picks around everything so he can eat the green stuff, is this okay? Should I be worried?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hopefully you did your research on here, if not, you may have all the wrong info.
They need a closed chamber high humidity enclosure with temps never lower than 80 and humidity of 80 and basking area with a incandescent Flood bulb that reaches 95-100.
They need to be soaked every day for about two years in warm water for 30 minutes. They need to eat every day enough that he can graze all day long if he chooses. He needs a clay saucer for water with low sided he can get into and drink or self soak. If you just now are reading any of this info for the first time then you need to do more research on this forum for proper care
As for the food, chop it all up find and mist with water so he has to eat the colored along with the green. Never feed fruit.

miels

Lee's Summit, MO
Hopefully you did your research on here, if not, you may have all the wrong info.
They need a closed chamber high humidity enclosure with temps never lower than 80 and humidity of 80 and basking area with a incandescent Flood bulb that reaches 95-100.
They need to be soaked every day for about two years in warm water for 30 minutes. They need to eat every day enough that he can graze all day long if he chooses. He needs a clay saucer for water with low sided he can get into and drink or self soak. If you just now are reading any of this info for the first time then you need to do more research on this forum for proper care
As for the food, chop it all up find and mist with water so he has to eat the colored along with the green. Never feed fruit.
Thank you, that's what I had learned, I chopped the food super small, but he spits out the other colored stuff if he gets it in his mouth

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What are you feeding? If it's all chopped small and misted, he shouldn't be able to spit it all out. Otherwise try chopping the colored small and leaving the greens just a bit bigger and mist with water. The smaller will stick to the slightly bigger. You just have to keep trying until he eats it all.

miels

Lee's Summit, MO
What are you feeding? If it's all chopped small and misted, he shouldn't be able to spit it all out. Otherwise try chopping the colored small and leaving the greens just a bit bigger and mist with water. The smaller will stick to the slightly bigger. You just have to keep trying until he eats it all.
I'm feeding him a little bit of bell peppers, romaine lettuce, and dandelion weeds and some flowers

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Forget the pepper and add more weeds and flowers. Rose of Sharon, mulberry leaf, more dandelion, cactus, hibiscus flower and leaf.
Grocery greens add ridicchio, arugula, endive.