New babies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Well Tina laid eggs about three month ago and today I noticed they piped... They appear to be fully developed....

Thoughts opinions.. The other 4 eggs are still intact..

image-2537317219.png

image-3838401940.png

image-2002582472.png

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sooo cute. Looking out into the big world. How exciting for you. Thanks for the pics:)

Shannon and Jason

5 Year Member
South Arkansas
More new babies!!! I have seen so many new babies of all different species today. Those 2 are just precious can't wait for the rest :p

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Just to sure why so quick.. They have only incubated for a little less than 3 month..

Also how long do I leave them in the incubator?? Can I keep the babies on vermiculite?? How long before they leave the shell completely?? Also when can they eat.. A few times it looked like they were trying to eat there shell...

Any help would be appreciated...

Oh yeah.. I guess I will be traveling with 3 adult tortoises, a few babies and two lg Rottweilers....

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
You may want to check w/Tom, or w/professional breeders to fond out. Unfortunately, I'm not a breeder.

Katherine

5 Year Member
3 months is fairly standard for me, how long were you anticipating? I usually move them onto a moist paper towel in a clean Tupperware container (with their egg, they may nibble some) until their yolk sak is absorbed because vermiculate or other substrates will stick to it. Some emerge in an hour but most of mine spend about 12-24 hours halfway in and halfway out. I never manually remove them, they seem to know what they are doing and the shell protects their yolk sac from any trauma. They can eat now! Some eat even before they even leave shell, offer them some wet greens and I bet they will disappear. Congratulations, they look cute as pie :)

19A9425A-E216-4AAD-B87E-652832862C68-6374-0000058EE91E464C.jpg

Proof eating starts ASAP

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Congratulation on the new hatchlings! Hope their siblings will come up soon :D

arotester

5 Year Member
Katherine said:
3 months is fairly standard for me, how long were you anticipating? I usually move them onto a moist paper towel in a clean Tupperware container (with their egg, they may nibble some) until their yolk sak is absorbed because vermiculate or other substrates will stick to it. Some emerge in an hour but most of mine spend about 12-24 hours halfway in and halfway out. I never manually remove them, they seem to know what they are doing and the shell protects their yolk sac from any trauma. They can eat now! Some eat even before they even leave shell, offer them some wet greens and I bet they will disappear. Congratulations, they look cute as pie :)

19A9425A-E216-4AAD-B87E-652832862C68-6374-0000058EE91E464C.jpg

Proof eating starts ASAP

that's amazing.I tend to learn new things about torts everyday!!! :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tony the tank said:
Just to sure why so quick.. They have only incubated for a little less than 3 month..

Also how long do I leave them in the incubator?? Can I keep the babies on vermiculite?? How long before they leave the shell completely?? Also when can they eat.. A few times it looked like they were trying to eat there shell...

Ditto what Katherine said. I take mine out of the incubator as soon as they leave their egg. This can take from 6 to 48 hours. Do not leave them on the vermiculite as they will eat it. I use plastic shoeboxes with damp paper towels and replace the towels daily while I soak them. I also add some greens and their egg shells. If you don't they will likely eat the paper towels and this would not be good. I keep the shoe boxes somewhere warm and it usually takes around a week for them to completely absorb their yolk sac and the umbilical scar to close up. At that point I move them into a regular enclosure.

90 days is normal incubation time for sulcatas. You are right on schedual. :D Once they are out, I recommend you soak them daily and start feeding them everything in the world right away. I have found that introducing all sorts of different foods early on makes them much less picky down the road.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
So far three have hatched two have left the shells completely..one is just sitting on half the shell and eating... I placed them on damp paper towels in a small 6"x8" piece of Tupperware in the incubator temps are in the 90*F and 88% humidity.. So far so good...

Another question we are on day 2 should I be concerned that the other three haven't piped yet??

Thought??

Katherine

5 Year Member
Tony the tank said:
So far three have hatched two have left the shells completely..one is just sitting on half the shell and eating... I placed them on damp paper towels in a small 6"x8" piece of Tupperware in the incubator temps are in the 90*F and 88% humidity.. So far so good...

Another question we are on day 2 should I be concerned that the other three haven't piped yet??

Thought??

Mine usually pip and hatch out over the course of a week, rarely all the same day. Kind of like a domino effect, one will pip and then the ones adjacent to it, etc. Was it her first clutch? Did you candle them at all to know if they were in fact fertile? Not much to do but wait. I do usually bump up humidity when the first one pips (I keep it around 80 during incubation and then damn near 100% during hatching) because it is harder for them to hatch out of a dry shell. If you ever do inground incubation you will notice they all hatch the day of or after a good rain. Hope you see some action from the rest of the eggs, and post more baby pictures :):):) So cute!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Katherine said:
Tony the tank said:

Thought??

Mine usually pip and hatch out over the course of a week, rarely all the same day. I do usually bump up humidity when the first one pips (I keep it around 80 during incubation and then damn near 100% during hatching) because it is harder for them to hatch out of a dry shell.

Yep. Me too on both counts.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Need some opinions.. So far out of the Six eggs 4 have hatched and doing well... But it has now been 3 days since the last one hatched... The remaining 2 eggs look solid on top and I can see a small hollow space on the bottom(what I would expect to see ) ..But no pip..

Should I be concerned.. How long before I can assume those remaining eggs are not viable..

Should I attempt to open the egg carefully of course.?

Thoughts opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.