New and researching before getting a tortoise

Erika T

Hello, I'm new to this forum I signed up because I would like to get the most information before making a choice. I live in Pembroke Pines FL and I would love to get a tortoise. I'm not sure what species would be best for a hot and humid climate, I also want to get one that will not grow that much. My plan is to build an outside enclosure and of course we would bring her/him in when the weather calls for it. I'm a big believer of rescuing animals we have done this with my family all my life, is this something recommended with tortoises if so where would be the best place to do this. I read it is not recommended to keep tortoises in pairs does this apply to all species? I would appreciate all the help I can get. Thank you!!!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Hello, I'm new to this forum I signed up because I would like to get the most information before making a choice. I live in Pembroke Pines FL and I would love to get a tortoise. I'm not sure what species would be best for a hot and humid climate, I also want to get one that will not grow that much. My plan is to build an outside enclosure and of course we would bring her/him in when the weather calls for it. I'm a big believer of rescuing animals we have done this with my family all my life, is this something recommended with tortoises if so where would be the best place to do this. I read it is not recommended to keep tortoises in pairs does this apply to all species? I would appreciate all the help I can get. Thank you!!!
Welcome to the forum!

Where do you live and what is the weather like back there?

Please read the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread, and different care sheets. Personally I think that Russian torts are the easiest to deal with.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Welcome to the forum. Rescuing is great. I don't have any info on Florida rescued. Pairs is always bad, but most tortoises will do great in hot humid. Some of the rainforest types, red and yellow foots might require very heavy planting to protect from the sun. Greeks and Russians are smaller. Leopards get large, but would do great there.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Hello and welcome. You hit the jackpot when you found this site!

Redfoots tend to do very well in FL, and they don't get too big.

Pairs are a problem, but groups are usually okay. Redfoots especially tend to do very well in groups.

Here is some general helpful info:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Erika T

Hello, my name is Erika and I'm new to this forum I signed up because I would like to get the most information before making a choice. I live in Florida in the Pembroke Pines area and I would love to get a tortoise. I'm not sure what species would be best for a hot and humid climate, temperature around here is in the 90 degrees with a lot of humidity, I would like to get one that will not grow that I much. My plan is to build an outside enclosure and of course we would bring her/him in when the weather calls for it. I'm a big believer of rescuing animals we have done this with my family all my life, is this something recommended with tortoises if so where would be the best place to do this. I read it is not recommended to keep tortoises in pairs does this apply to all species? I would appreciate all the help I can get. Thank you!!!

Erika T

Welcome to the forum!

Where do you live and what is the weather like back there?

Please read the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread, and different care sheets. Personally I think that Russian torts are the easiest to deal with.

Hi Gillian,

I live in Florida the climate around here is always hot and humid, very sunny, during the winter we have occasional days were the temperature drops to the 60s, but it almost never stays that way the whole day. I will look for that thread. Thank you

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi Gillian,

I live in Florida the climate around here is always hot and humid, very sunny, during the winter we have occasional days were the temperature drops to the 60s, but it almost never stays that way the whole day. I will look for that thread. Thank you
Please keep in mind that torts need a WARM and HUMID place.

Look forward to seeing the tort you get.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Hi Erika and welcome from Texas. We have a bunch of awesome keepers around you in SoFla, perhaps they can put you in touch with some rescue groups. Let's ask @ZEROPILOT and @Alaskamike and @allegraf and @N2TORTS if they happen to have some contacts around you. I think @ZEROPILOT is the closest one to your area. There are many more great keepers down there, I just haven't been on this forum ling enough to know all the "who, where & what's"

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Welcome.
I also live in Broward.
In Sunrise.
If you make a very large pen, you can keep a few females with one male.
Otherwise, they also do very well alone.
I recommend Redfoot tortoises. I keep four.
You can view my enclosure on Youtube.
"Redfoot habitat Florida style". Just for an inexpensive and contained pen.
I also have two tortoise housed you can have for free. Either of them.
Just P.M.

Attachments

• 20160319_133610.jpg
    20160319_133610.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I've found most of my Redfoot from Craigslist.
Beware of anybody in Dade or Broward claiming to be a "rescue".
I would recommend finding a robust and healthy adult for just starting out.
With a nice pen in your yard, it would be easy to get started.
Several members here sell babies. Maybe someone would also have a spare adult.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hello, my name is Erika and I'm new to this forum I signed up because I would like to get the most information before making a choice. I live in Florida in the Pembroke Pines area and I would love to get a tortoise. I'm not sure what species would be best for a hot and humid climate, temperature around here is in the 90 degrees with a lot of humidity, I would like to get one that will not grow that I much. My plan is to build an outside enclosure and of course we would bring her/him in when the weather calls for it. I'm a big believer of rescuing animals we have done this with my family all my life, is this something recommended with tortoises if so where would be the best place to do this. I read it is not recommended to keep tortoises in pairs does this apply to all species? I would appreciate all the help I can get. Thank you!!!
Hi. I've a feeling you've already posted this thread, right? And some members have answered you.

Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Erika T

Hi. I've a feeling you've already posted this thread, right? And some members have answered you.

Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Hi, yes I first post it on the other place but I was told I should post it here instead, now I don't know how to erase it. Sorry for the confusion but thank you for the replies on the other side

Erika T

I've found most of my Redfoot from Craigslist.
Beware of anybody in Dade or Broward claiming to be a "rescue".
I would recommend finding a robust and healthy adult for just starting out.
With a nice pen in your yard, it would be easy to get started.
Several members here sell babies. Maybe someone would also have a spare adult.

Hi, thank you for your advise and offer, I'm glad you are around my area. Once I build up my enclosure I will contact you to see if you have the houses available. I saw your video and your pen looks really good. Do you always have them outdoors, is that why you have the lights inside the boxes? What do you do during our "winter days"? I thought about building something like this picture but with plants around it to provide shade and maybe build a roof to go over part of the enclosure and bigger. Do you think this would work? I also saw pictures with plastic kiddy pools but I'm not sure that would work for a permanent outdoor enclosure it might get too hot regardless of the shade I plan to provide. I've read and saw the recommendations to get a redfoot tortoise, so I think that would be my choice.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    202.6 KB · Views: 2

Erika T

Hi Erika and welcome from Texas. We have a bunch of awesome keepers around you in SoFla, perhaps they can put you in touch with some rescue groups. Let's ask @ZEROPILOT and @Alaskamike and @allegraf and @N2TORTS if they happen to have some contacts around you. I think @ZEROPILOT is the closest one to your area. There are many more great keepers down there, I just haven't been on this forum ling enough to know all the "who, where & what's"

Thank you so much, I really appreciate all the help and information I'm getting

Erika T

KaitlinKeefe_

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Castleton, VT
my russians love the hot humid weather and one actually came from south florida. i know with russians they need to be separated unless you have a couple of females and a male (breeding group) which i assume you arnt really looking for ;). tortoises are solitary, they dont mind being alone so dont think you need a couple to keep them happy. if you get one and spend some time with him or her theyll be just fine!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
A kiddie pool with lots of shade and hide areas would work. Don't place it out in the full sun. It gets way too hot here.
If you use one, drill holes in it because the first good thunderstorm we get, it will fill up with water.
The lights I have are actually for heat on timers. This time of year, I don't use them.
For the few days that it is just too cold. Maybe 4 times a winter, they are placed into this contraption and wheeled into my back "sunroom".
The doghouse is yours for the asking.

Attachments

• 20160117_171504.jpg
    20160117_171504.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10