Not eating

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
Those dial thermometers are known for being inaccurate. You'll want to replace them with a digital thermometer.

Court562

The growned is wet. Temps are 100 degrees, with 60% humidity. How's that?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 10

Court562

Thank you, she's very cute. My husband and I love her and can't wait until she's big. I ordered Mazuri online. What type of weeds and grass should I feed? I need something they can't resist to get her to start eating. I noticed when I put a dandelion in she nibbled at it.

TortoiseWarrior

5 Year Member
Minnesota
I think you're doin great. Asking questions, making adjustments getting it right. We won't get it in a day but when we do you and the tort will be happy. Nice job

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
I wouldn't trust the number you read from those thermometers. Get a digital one from a hardware store. You need to know how cold night time is when your basking bulb is off too.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thank you, she's very cute. My husband and I love her and can't wait until she's big. I ordered Mazuri online. What type of weeds and grass should I feed? I need something they can't resist to get her to start eating. I noticed when I put a dandelion in she nibbled at it.

Mulberry leaves
Grape vine leaves
Hibiscus leaves
African hibiscus leaves
Blue hibiscus leaves
Rose of Sharon leaves
Rose leaves
Geraniums
Gazanias
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Cape honeysuckle
Leaves and blooms from any squash plant, like pumpkin, cucumber, summer squash, etc...
Young spineless opuntia cactus pads

Weeds:
There are soooooooo many...
Dandelion
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles
Trefoil
Wild onion
Wild mustard
Wild Garlic
Clovers
Broadleaf plantain
Narrow leaf plantain
Chick weed
Hawksbit
Hensbit
Hawksbeard

Court562

Humility tonight is 65% and heat is 90. I exchanged the red 50 watt for a dark blue 100 watt nightlight. Thank you all for the kind words, you're amazing support! I feed her dandelion and clovers that I picked from outside but not sure if she ate any. She also got two 30 minute bathes. If I'm doing the correct adjustments, how long do you think it will take for her to eat?

RedFire

Beijing,China
Baby tortoise need soaking in maintain warm water, so if you wanna this you should put in more warm water than earlier time with frequently. They don't need too wet food when they are babies.

Court562

So now she's not coming out of her shell. She has her head tucked in and I'm not sure why. I'm getting worried.

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
Did you manage to pick up a new thermometer?
Accurite has an inexpensive one, I think I got mine for around $10 at Kmart I think. But they sell them at Walmart and I think Home Depot too.
Reads humidity and temps so it's super convenient.
It could be that maybe your temps are off since those round thermometers are pretty inaccurate.

Court562

Head tucked in since maybe last night. I did notice her temps in the morning were at 50. This is not normal temps. It's usually at 85 ish during nights. Not walking at all since 9pm last night.

Court562

She got cold last night and to be honest I can't tell exactly what temp it was. I purchased a digital temp and saw it was reading 89 today during the day. She's tucked into her shell and has not come out all day today. When I went to look at her under the lights her eyes were sunken in.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
How long have your temps been unknown? Might need a vet. This is not good.
I agree. There's a limit to what we can do online. A vet is the solution if what we have suggested isn't working.

You say you have a new digital thermometer - unless it's a temperature gun, it still won't give you particularly accurate readings from the enclosure.

Court562

I took her to a vet. They gave her a shot for antibiotics and suggested they do a force feeding. It's a digital temp I got at Petsmart. The temps are strong at 89 currently.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Your house gets down to 50F at night this time of year? If so, and you are not providing any additional heat for the tortoise, you likely will have a very sick hatchling. That is a surprisingly low - I am curious what you used to measure that temperature. For the antibiotics and feedings to work, you need to be able to keep this hatchling warm consistently. Figuring out your temperature issue should be a priority.

This baby arrived sick, right? Has she been bright eyed and eating well at any point since you brought her home?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum!

A cute little tort - GOD bless

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
I would get a different temp reader. Temp guns are great. Accurite is also pretty good, it reads humidity as well. I think I got mine for about $10, but it's very accurate (checked it with my temp gun).