New and I want a tortoise

maddymcd

Help??? I need to convince my parents to get me a tortoise please give suggestions

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Maddy:

Welcome to the Forum!

Please tell us a bit about you and your situation so we can better advise you.

(I'm confused - your profile says you're 45 years old. Why does your mother's opinion enter into this question?)

Killerrookie

It happen to me to Yvonne G it's says I'm 40 something when I'm really 16 haha!!?!! I don't wanna be 40. Have you done any research on what type of tortoise you want or how to take care of one?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi! I too would like to know you better and you situation before giving advise.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). We are really good at helping to come up with ways to convince parents, but we do need more info, as our main concern is for the tortoise and that you really are able and willing to care for one. So, come talk with us and tell us more:D

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Welcome to TFO! Good luck with your mom and dad .

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome! ! !Good to have you here. We are very happy to know that young people developed interest in turtles and Tortoises. Yes....Tell us more about yourself and your idea of keeping and caring for a tortoises??

Heather H

N.E. ohio
Hi and welcome. I have 2 kids 17 and 8. My 8 year old is getting a tortoise as soon as it gets warmer. Your parents are more than welcome to come on here and talk to us. We can talk about the best type of tortoise for you and help with any questions :)

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Maddy welcome to the TFO from AZ . Well there are a lot of people that had turtles as kids on here maybe you should reading their story's . But please think about what I use to tell my kids . The more I let you have the more you loose if you don't follow the rules . Good luck with your parents they do love you and want to make you happy !

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Sorry, no. Why can't you convince them yourself? Or wait a few years until they aren't involved in your decisions.

maddymcd

Thank you everyone for my answers, I am most certainly not 45 sorry for the mix up! My situation is that my mom is sort of sold on it but my dad still is a little iffy. Ive been doing my chores and coming up with ideas on making money for it, but if you guys have anything more that would be wonderful, THANKS

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
It happen to me to Yvonne G it's says I'm 40 something when I'm really 16 haha!!?!! I don't wanna be 40. Have you done any research on what type of tortoise you want or how to take care of one?
Nobody wants to be 40.....Unless you reach 50!:rolleyes:
How much space can you provide? Do you have a yard? Or will it be all indoors?

maddymcd

Hey everyone!! Suggestions needed! ⏬ (Btw on my account it says im 45, im not) So ive been wanting a tortoise for a few years now but my parents arent on board! Ive been taking advice and cleaning my room and doing my chores, ive also been collecting money!!!!!! I plan on keeping my tortoise inside in a large tub with pea gravel and repti bark, I HAVE DONE SO MUCH RESEARCH. My mom is almost there but my dad is concerned about vet visits, space, and (since my parents are divorced) i switch homes and he's worried about if bugs will get into the tank or not.
⏬⏬⏬⏬SUGGESTIONS PLEASE

HotdogKnight

Southampton, UK
Are you likely to be moving between homes a lot? A tortoise can get stressed out very easily so moving him often will make him uncomfortable and uneasy about his surroundings.

I managed to win my mum over (I didn't need her approval, but she's not a great reptile lover) by letting her know just how much I know about the animal I had decided to home, so maybe that will help.