Need to build a home for Dwight

KimC90

5 Year Member
Dwight is growing like a weed! It's definitely time to build him a nice big indoor enclosure. I live in an apartment and we don't even have a balcony so I need to build a nice looking enclosure that will give Dwight all the space he needs. Any suggestions on size, how to build, how to make the most of our space, etc??

Attachments

• 1407941332641.jpg
    1407941332641.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 53

NicoleB26

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Rome, OH
You could build a multilevel enclosure to save on floor space.

KimC90

5 Year Member
That's what I was thinking. At this point I have no idea how fast hes going to keep growing and I want to build something that will last us a year or longer

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Your substrate looks very dry. That's easy to correct. Your beautiful tortoise has some pyramiding.

KimC90

5 Year Member
I know I almost never let it get that dry, I have to go in with a pitcher of water almost daily to keep it moist, sometimes life gets in the way and I have to skip a day. Yes he has some pyramiding, it started well before I got him. It seems like every time it looks like he is getting smooth growth it ends up not being so smooth. Suggestions on managing humidity better would be great, I really want the best for my baby boy

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Keep a watering can or pitcher full of water next to the habitat. Having the water right there all the time will make it easier to keep up with adding it. It's all too easy to get distracted or deflected otherwise.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Keep a watering can or pitcher full of water next to the habitat. Having the water right there all the time will make it easier to keep up with adding it. It's all too easy to get distracted or deflected otherwise.
Keep an untipable container of water in the enclosure, adds to the humidity :)

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
You can also keep live plants (kind of hard to grow in there) and they can significantly raise humidity. Plus, I think it would be easier o remember to 'water the plants' then the soil :)