Need some advice (pair of males)

Daveypryme

Location (City and/or State)
Indiana
hello, I'm new to this forum and owning tortoises. I recently bought two leopard tortoises from a pet store. I was told they were both 5 and have always been together, so I had to purchase both. they did not know the sexes of the torts. I recently posted pictures of them and I was told they both seem to be male. They both seem fine together when they are in their indoor inclosure, they eat and sleep next to each other, but when I put them in the outdoor inclosure sometimes the slightly bigger one rams into and gets on top of the smaller one. I have recently read that you should not keep two torts together, that they like to be alone. Should I seperate them or is this ok since it only happens every so often in the outdoor pen?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You should separate them. You may THINK they're getting along indoors, but they're not. I'll bet you will see the smaller on start to take off in growth once he's set up by himself.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I would definitely separate them. They will both be happier and healthier.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, seperate. I have three leopards. One male, one female and one I thought and looks female, but when it is with my other two, it acts male. Also, when my male and female are together, I am finding my male tipped over. So, now they all live apart inside and when I am home to supervise, I let the male and female be together, but the unknown is always by itself, at least until I know for sure the sex it will be.

Daveypryme

Indiana
Thank you for the replies. I do not have room for another indoor setup and I can not house them outdoors year round do to whether. Does anyone have any advice on how to rehome one of them? I don't want someone to end up with one and not take care of it properly or not be able to provide what it needs.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's fairly easy to make warm houses outside. It's not the best way to go, but as I couldn't afford an electrician to run a line, I bought a heavy duty outdoor extension cord and ran it from a plug, through buried PVC to my leopard tortoises' shed. This way they can live outdoors year round and have a warm place to retreat to. You can build one fairly large night box with a dividing wall, and have two yards next to each other with the night box between them.

Unless you'd rather find a home for one of the tortoises, that is.

If that's the case, I would either prepare a "For Sale" ad here on the Forum, or an "Adoption" ad, and try to find a member here to take one of them. You can pretty much rule out folks just by talking to them for a while. If you wanted, you could also ask for pictures of where they plan to keep the tortoise.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
For now, you could set up a second enclosure inside just for sleeping, it just needs to be large enough for a hide and water dish, as long as you can put them outside during the day. It's warm enough yet that they should not need heat during the night hours in a house. Then, once you have met the forums rules for selling a tortoise' you could post a for sale thread. If you want to do a no fee adoption, you can post a thread now in that section.

Alaskamike

South Florida
It's sad that the pet store talked you into this situation. Smart of you to observe the bullying.

If you do decide to sell - or rehome (without a fee )
Many good knowledgable members are on the forum. Check them out though. Look at their posts. Do your due diligence if you want what's best for him.

Pick up is best , of course , but torts big and small are shipped overnight all the time. Members here can walk you through it on how to ship safely.

iMO the quality of home is most important.

If it were me ( but I can be a **** ) I would go back to that pet store. Find the clerk that told you to take both and explain why that was the wrong idea.
Maybe save the next person they advise wrong.
Good fortune to you

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
Thank you for the replies. I do not have room for another indoor setup and I can not house them outdoors year round do to whether. Does anyone have any advice on how to rehome one of them? I don't want someone to end up with one and not take care of it properly or not be able to provide what it needs.
I notice you are replying to Wanted posts from people looking for Leopard torts. My suggestion to you is to check out their profiles and post counts and post content before offering your tort to them. They're new members with only a couple posts and no post content showing how they take care of their current torts. I would really suggest looking for a well-established member that has posts showing how they care for their animals and shows their knowledge of torts. That will give your tort a better chance of going to a good home instead of a mediocre or bad one, or to a tort/turtle flipper.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I think in your case I would agree with the others that the best course of action is to separate these tortoises.

Daveypryme

Indiana
I notice you are replying to Wanted posts from people looking for Leopard torts. My suggestion to you is to check out their profiles and post counts and post content before offering your tort to them. They're new members with only a couple posts and no post content showing how they take care of their current torts. I would really suggest looking for a well-established member that has posts showing how they care for their animals and shows their knowledge of torts. That will give your tort a better chance of going to a good home instead of a mediocre or bad one, or to a tort/turtle flipper.
Ok thanks for the advice. I'm trying to find him a home asap so I can make them happier I have them separated now but it will only last as long as the warm wheather does. Should I post an add on here about him and see if someone more experienced would be interested?

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
Ok thanks for the advice. I'm trying to find him a home asap so I can make them happier I have them separated now but it will only last as long as the warm wheather does. Should I post an add on here about him and see if someone more experienced would be interested?
Yes that would be a good idea. You can either post in the For Sale section if you want reimbursement, or Adoption section if you don't want payment.

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
Just make sure to check out their post history and see what info they post, what advice they ask for and if they used that advice, etc.