Need Solutions for 11 Baby Torts

november rain

Location (City and/or State)
overseas
Hello everyone

I need advice on what to do with two batches of baby torts. I am looking for both short-term and long-term solutions.

In August 2022, my husband and I moved into a house where four adult tortoises lived in the backyard. We decided to just let them be and didn’t interfere in their lives. About a month later, in the beginning of September, I was driving into the garage and almost ran over a tiny baby tort sitting in the middle of the driveway. Later that week, we found six more babies in the flowerbed by the driveway. There was nothing to eat on that flowerbed, so I tried to feed them, but they were not interested in eating or drinking. As it got colder in late October, I started feeling bad for them because it was cold and it was raining almost every day, and they would just sit there, tiny little things. We are not big pet people, but I felt responsible for these babies and decided to take them in for the winter. I felt that they wouldn’t survive winter if left outdoors. I found six of the babies but couldn’t find the seventh.

We have a large, finished basement and that is where we created a habitat for them about 3 feet wide and 15 feet long plus two large boxes on either side of one end of it. I wasn’t able to maintain room cold enough for them to get into hibernation, so they ended up being active all winter. I got them proper substrate, lamps, humidifiers, and food. They were fun to watch, if a handful at times, and seemed to be normal and happy. However, people from another tortoise forum told me that I shouldn’t have taken the torts in and should have just let them do what they do in nature. Ever since then, I felt very bad about my decision to take the torts in especially since I didn’t intend to keep them as indoor pets and wanted to put them back in the yard when the weather would get warmer. Additionally, my husband and I are in this house only for a couple of years, and I have no idea what to do about the torts when we have to move.

Last April, as we were preparing to build an outdoor enclosure in the backyard for the six torts we had, we found five more baby torts. They must have hatched about the same time as the first batch, and we just had no idea. It was still cold outside and the torts looked frail, so I took these ones in too, but within a few days, sadly, one of them died. Then, a week or two later, I found the seventh tort from the first batch. He looked even smaller and frailer than the torts from the second batch, and I thought he’d die too. He couldn’t even eat and I had to help him eat, but he survived.

In May, I put all 11 babies in the outdoor enclosure that is bigger than their indoor home. They freaked out at first but got used to living outdoors and did well in the summer months. Some of them were less active because it was very hot, but others enjoyed the heat and were very active. I fed them every day and most days, the active ones wanted to eat twice a day.

It got cold here in the last several days and it was raining hard for the last two days. The torts started showing up for shorter periods of time and now spend about 20 hours a day in their little houses. Yesterday, I saw them looking miserable again, in this cold and rain, and felt bad for them. One of them was covered in dirt from head to claws, and I thought that his house could be full of mud. So, I started thinking again about what to do about them.

Should I leave them be or should I take them in for another winter? If I take them in, should I keep their room cold and let them hibernate or warm and let them be active?

We will be moving out in either 10 or 20 months; this is under consideration at this time. The next tenant is likely to have dogs cats or both, and I am not sure they will want to take care of the torts even if they live in an outdoor enclosure. We cannot take the torts with us, plus, 11 torts are a lot of pets especially when they become adults. We are not likely to live in a place with a backyard large enough to house 4-7 groups of torts. My husband took the four adult torts that made all these babies to an abandoned field by the river in the countryside and says that once these babies grow bigger, we can take them to that field too. But it was rather painful for me to see the adult torts being removed from the backyard, and I cannot imagine what it will be like to have to take these babies somewhere and leave them there. There is no animal shelter that would be willing to take tortoises, and trying to give them out for adoption is not likely to work either. The locals are not that interested in having torts as pets, and the few Americans that I know here have dogs and cats and, just like us, they are here only temporarily.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Do you know what species of tortoise you have? If not please post a picture.

november rain

overseas
They are Russians and are native to the area. I prefer not to disclose my precise location, I apologize for this secrecy of a sort.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They are Russians and are native to the area. I prefer not to disclose my precise location, I apologize for this secrecy of a sort.
No, I didn't want your precise location, just country. But, as long as you do know for sure they are Russians and native, then that's enough.
I would try to find a tortoise rescue in your area. I would not leave them there as the previous owners did. Otherwise you could let them go, but outside the yard if it's fenced. When you do leave, you could leave a note or post in the listing, that the yard is home to wild tortoises.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Given that they are native to the area where you are, and given the info you've shared, the only way I see these tortoises surviving is if you figure out how to take them with you, or give them to someone locally who will care for them. Releasing them into the wild into an unfamiliar area is most likely to result in their demise.

november rain

overseas
No, I didn't want your precise location, just country. But, as long as you do know for sure they are Russians and native, then that's enough.
I would try to find a tortoise rescue in your area. I would not leave them there as the previous owners did. Otherwise you could let them go, but outside the yard if it's fenced. When you do leave, you could leave a note or post in the listing, that the yard is home to wild tortoises.

The house I live in is managed by an organization that places people here every couple of years. It is not uncommon for tenants to know each other. For example, I know the previous tenants. They told me that for a long time, two adult torts had lived in the backyard without any offspring, but then they added two more adult tortoises and watched if there would be any babies. I don't know why they did that; I find this behavior irresponsible. Why create conditions for multiple baby animals if there is no good solution for them once they are born or hatched?

Anyway, it is not something I can change now. I will definitely talk to the landlord, the managing organization, and new tenants about the baby torts. But if the new tenants say they don't want the torts there, I don't know what to do. The country where I live now is a very small, underdeveloped European country. People here struggle to provide for their families and, understandably, animals and animal protection are not a priority in this society. There are lots of stray dogs and cats living on the street, and only few animal shelters or rescues. Right outside my fenced yard, there are packs of dogs, so letting the torts outside the yard is not an option.

But I will keep looking, and hopefully, by the time we have to leave this country, I will find a home for them somewhere.

november rain

overseas
Given that they are native to the area where you are, and given the info you've shared, the only way I see these tortoises surviving is if you figure out how to take them with you, or give them to someone locally who will care for them. Releasing them into the wild into an unfamiliar area is most likely to result in their demise.

It makes me so sad to think about this. We cannot take the torts with us not only because we wouldn't have a place for them where we will be moving next, but also because it is illegal to take this animal out of this country. They are considered endangered species here, and for all that lack of interest in animal welfare on the part of the government, they have endangered animal rules in place.

november rain

overseas
I will keep looking for a long-term solutions for these torts.

In the meantime, what about this winter? Should I take them in or should I leave them outside? If I bring them in, would it be better for them to hibernate or stay active?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I will keep looking for a long-term solutions for these torts.

In the meantime, what about this winter? Should I take them in or should I leave them outside? If I bring them in, would it be better for them to hibernate or stay active?
I think it best to brumate animals that would be brumating in the wild, but it must be done correctly. Here is the info for that:

You'll see all sorts of info on the internet and elsewhere that says not to brumate them in their first year, or the first three years or the first five years, etc... I've never understood or followed that flawed advice. Babies that hatch in the wild brumate their first year and every year. Can they survive without brumating every year? Yes. They seem to do just fine, if things are done correctly. Is it "good" for them to skip brumation? I don't think it is. Others might argue a different point of view, but I prefer to do what the species is adapted and evolved to do.

Here is the rest of the care info to help you with these guys while you are still there:

Given that you are in the native environment, and that these babies hatched there on their own, the best option in this case might be to leave them in that protected back yard as long as there is some sort of water source for warmer weather. It would sure be nice if the next tenant would be willing to help them in some way or other, but Russians are pretty tough and can survive a lot of less than ideal circumstances.

Personally, I think it is wonderful that you care for them and are trying to help them survive and thrive. I hope a good solution presents itself before you have to leave.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The house I live in is managed by an organization that places people here every couple of years. It is not uncommon for tenants to know each other. For example, I know the previous tenants. They told me that for a long time, two adult torts had lived in the backyard without any offspring, but then they added two more adult tortoises and watched if there would be any babies. I don't know why they did that; I find this behavior irresponsible. Why create conditions for multiple baby animals if there is no good solution for them once they are born or hatched?

Anyway, it is not something I can change now. I will definitely talk to the landlord, the managing organization, and new tenants about the baby torts. But if the new tenants say they don't want the torts there, I don't know what to do. The country where I live now is a very small, underdeveloped European country. People here struggle to provide for their families and, understandably, animals and animal protection are not a priority in this society. There are lots of stray dogs and cats living on the street, and only few animal shelters or rescues. Right outside my fenced yard, there are packs of dogs, so letting the torts outside the yard is not an option.

But I will keep looking, and hopefully, by the time we have to leave this country, I will find a home for them somewhere.
Wow, so sorry you got tossed into this. That's a tuff place to be with your caring heart for them. I think if it were me, if I couldn't find them homes, I would leave them in the yard to do what they do, seeing it's their native land anyway. Maybe, if possible, making sure there is areas that is soft enough for them to dig into under and around plants and bushes for when the time comes they need to brumate. That's what is usually recommended on this forum when native turtles or tortoises are found, is to leave them be.

november rain

overseas
I think it best to brumate animals that would be brumating in the wild, but it must be done correctly. Here is the info for that:

You'll see all sorts of info on the internet and elsewhere that says not to brumate them in their first year, or the first three years or the first five years, etc... I've never understood or followed that flawed advice. Babies that hatch in the wild brumate their first year and every year. Can they survive without brumating every year? Yes. They seem to do just fine, if things are done correctly. Is it "good" for them to skip brumation? I don't think it is. Others might argue a different point of view, but I prefer to do what the species is adapted and evolved to do.

Here is the rest of the care info to help you with these guys while you are still there:

Given that you are in the native environment, and that these babies hatched there on their own, the best option in this case might be to leave them in that protected back yard as long as there is some sort of water source for warmer weather. It would sure be nice if the next tenant would be willing to help them in some way or other, but Russians are pretty tough and can survive a lot of less than ideal circumstances.

Personally, I think it is wonderful that you care for them and are trying to help them survive and thrive. I hope a good solution presents itself before you have to leave.

Tom,

Thank you very much for the detailed suggestions and links. Last year, when I was hectically trying to arrange an indoor home for the torts, I was very happy to find this forum. I read a lot of forum threads then including the one about raising temperate species of tortoises that you started. For some reason though, I don't remember seeing the thread about brumation.

I didn't write anything then but I read many threads here thoroughly and followed the recommendations as close as I could. This made handling the torts so much easier and more predictable and helped me avoid many mistakes (but not all) a newbie like me would have made. I want to use this opportunity to thank the forum community for this resource. If not for threads like this, you wouldn't even know about people like me who use your knowledge and expertise. And yet, who knows, how many people found help and support here without ever participating in discussions.

There are great ideas in your thread about brumation! I am going to use them to improve and reinforce the enclosure. I visited several hardware stores in the area and found almost everything I need for this project. The weather is looking nice this weekend and next week, and I hope to complete the works over the next couple of weeks, before it gets really chilly. I cannot hope to accomplish anything like your enclosure projects but I will do the best I can.

november rain

overseas
Wow, so sorry you got tossed into this. That's a tuff place to be with your caring heart for them. I think if it were me, if I couldn't find them homes, I would leave them in the yard to do what they do, seeing it's their native land anyway. Maybe, if possible, making sure there is areas that is soft enough for them to dig into under and around plants and bushes for when the time comes they need to brumate. That's what is usually recommended on this forum when native turtles or tortoises are found, is to leave them be.

Thank you very much for your input, wellington! I have to say that even though I started caring for the torts out of the sense of responsibility for them, I grew to enjoy spending time with them. They are funny, and watching them was fun, a welcome break from the stresses of work. :)

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Wow, best of luck to you with these little ones!

One thing I might suggest, to prevent an ever growing yard population: look which adult(s) is male, and place them back out into nature away from the community. Since they were originally wild, they should be OK. Maybe not this Fall, but once it warms up in the spring, preferably before mating season.

SuzanneZ

Georgetown
Hello everyone

I need advice on what to do with two batches of baby torts. I am looking for both short-term and long-term solutions.

In August 2022, my husband and I moved into a house where four adult tortoises lived in the backyard. We decided to just let them be and didn’t interfere in their lives. About a month later, in the beginning of September, I was driving into the garage and almost ran over a tiny baby tort sitting in the middle of the driveway. Later that week, we found six more babies in the flowerbed by the driveway. There was nothing to eat on that flowerbed, so I tried to feed them, but they were not interested in eating or drinking. As it got colder in late October, I started feeling bad for them because it was cold and it was raining almost every day, and they would just sit there, tiny little things. We are not big pet people, but I felt responsible for these babies and decided to take them in for the winter. I felt that they wouldn’t survive winter if left outdoors. I found six of the babies but couldn’t find the seventh.

We have a large, finished basement and that is where we created a habitat for them about 3 feet wide and 15 feet long plus two large boxes on either side of one end of it. I wasn’t able to maintain room cold enough for them to get into hibernation, so they ended up being active all winter. I got them proper substrate, lamps, humidifiers, and food. They were fun to watch, if a handful at times, and seemed to be normal and happy. However, people from another tortoise forum told me that I shouldn’t have taken the torts in and should have just let them do what they do in nature. Ever since then, I felt very bad about my decision to take the torts in especially since I didn’t intend to keep them as indoor pets and wanted to put them back in the yard when the weather would get warmer. Additionally, my husband and I are in this house only for a couple of years, and I have no idea what to do about the torts when we have to move.

Last April, as we were preparing to build an outdoor enclosure in the backyard for the six torts we had, we found five more baby torts. They must have hatched about the same time as the first batch, and we just had no idea. It was still cold outside and the torts looked frail, so I took these ones in too, but within a few days, sadly, one of them died. Then, a week or two later, I found the seventh tort from the first batch. He looked even smaller and frailer than the torts from the second batch, and I thought he’d die too. He couldn’t even eat and I had to help him eat, but he survived.

In May, I put all 11 babies in the outdoor enclosure that is bigger than their indoor home. They freaked out at first but got used to living outdoors and did well in the summer months. Some of them were less active because it was very hot, but others enjoyed the heat and were very active. I fed them every day and most days, the active ones wanted to eat twice a day.

It got cold here in the last several days and it was raining hard for the last two days. The torts started showing up for shorter periods of time and now spend about 20 hours a day in their little houses. Yesterday, I saw them looking miserable again, in this cold and rain, and felt bad for them. One of them was covered in dirt from head to claws, and I thought that his house could be full of mud. So, I started thinking again about what to do about them.

Should I leave them be or should I take them in for another winter? If I take them in, should I keep their room cold and let them hibernate or warm and let them be active?

We will be moving out in either 10 or 20 months; this is under consideration at this time. The next tenant is likely to have dogs cats or both, and I am not sure they will want to take care of the torts even if they live in an outdoor enclosure. We cannot take the torts with us, plus, 11 torts are a lot of pets especially when they become adults. We are not likely to live in a place with a backyard large enough to house 4-7 groups of torts. My husband took the four adult torts that made all these babies to an abandoned field by the river in the countryside and says that once these babies grow bigger, we can take them to that field too. But it was rather painful for me to see the adult torts being removed from the backyard, and I cannot imagine what it will be like to have to take these babies somewhere and leave them there. There is no animal shelter that would be willing to take tortoises, and trying to give them out for adoption is not likely to work either. The locals are not that interested in having torts as pets, and the few Americans that I know here have dogs and cats and, just like us, they are here only temporarily.
Sad happy story. You did a good thing. Along the way please learn not to second guess your decisions.

You could offer them here as adoptees or for sale, as singles or a group. You might have to study live-animal shipping unless someone great is close to you.