Need soil recommendations for outdoor tortoise habitat

Forsaken

5 Year Member
We recently had our house repainted and the painters did not take precautions and got paint chips all over the area where my stepdads Desert Tortoise roams, so we are replacing the soil.

The original plan was to use top soil, but due to unknown composition that seems to be less than ideal. Would using just fine grade orchid bark work, or are there any other suggestions that will not completely break the bank.

Included a picture after painting was done and prior to other work being done (having the cement slab re-done as), and second picture is after dirt has been removed in front third of the yard.

20240409_161751.jpg

20240509_161304.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
We recently had our house repainted and the painters did not take precautions and got paint chips all over the area where my stepdads Desert Tortoise roams, so we are replacing the soil.

The original plan was to use top soil, but due to unknown composition that seems to be less than ideal. Would using just fine grade orchid bark work, or are there any other suggestions that will not completely break the bank.

Included a picture after painting was done and prior to other work being done (having the cement slab re-done as), and second picture is after dirt has been removed in front third of the yard.

20240409_161751.jpg

20240509_161304.jpg
Where are you?

This doesn't look like a good place for a tortoise to live because its too shady and because of all that gravel. Even if you put something like orchid bark over the top of it, that gravel will work its way to the surface.

I think a truckload of clean fill dirt would be the best way to go.

Forsaken

5 Year Member
Where are you?

This doesn't look like a good place for a tortoise to live because its too shady and because of all that gravel. Even if you put something like orchid bark over the top of it, that gravel will work its way to the surface.

I think a truckload of clean fill dirt would be the best way to go.
Santa Monica.

Pictures were taken later in the afternoon, and usually there is a lot more sun; Tortoise is usually burrowing in the dog house (it's filled with reptile dirt) or tucked into a corner somewhere by this time.

Gravel has mostly been removed from front of yard, and they'll be removing most of it from the back half (that is where the raised beds are). Some of it is being left along the cement slabs to help with drainage. Plan for now is likely to grow some clover until Fall, and then see about adding more dirt and growing more clover next year.