Need more advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kvenegas

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Milwaukee, WI
Does anyone have any thoughts on force feeding? Baby Clay was de-wormed almost a week ago and still is not eating. I have been soaking him 3x a day but he is still not eating. I'm afraid if I don't get him to eat soon I may lose him.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
How is he acting other than the not eating? Have you been soaking him everyday in warm water? That med is a poison that kills the parasites...so while it is doing its job it of course causes alot of dead parasite and med in their gut...this can make them feel not so great and may make them lose their appetite.....so if you soak them you will offer hydration and that will aid them in moving the bad out a bit better......IMHO

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Any tube feeding or force feeding would need to be done by an experienced veterinarian to avoid harming your tortoise. It is also a very stressful procedure, and should be done as a last resort.

Have you been doing baby food soaks? What types of foods are you offering?

Kvenegas

5 Year Member
Milwaukee, WI
I soak him 3 x a day. And I offer him everything. Collards, endive, dandelions, and a canned food I got. I have Mazuri on the way.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Kvenegas said:
I soak him 3 x a day. And I offer him everything. Collards, endive, dandelions, and a canned food I got. I have Mazuri on the way.

I have read a lot on here about the baby food soaks and them working well. I think you should try them and see if things don't get better for you. I have never had to do them, but if you search the forum I am sure you will find the info you need on how to do them. Good luck hope all works out okay.

JLSchmittou

5 Year Member
wellington said:
I have read a lot on here about the baby food soaks and them working well. I think you should try them and see if things don't get better for you. I have never had to do them, but if you search the forum I am sure you will find the info you need on how to do them. Good luck hope all works out okay.

I was told to do this; do a baby food carrot soak, Dean said its like a multivitamin.. Can't hurt, might help, I would imagine dumping a jar into a bowl, warming it gently for 15-20 secs will warm it enough for your tort (obviously, temp check it)...

Good luck..

Status
Not open for further replies.