Need help with uromastyx laying eggs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amanda1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Plainfield, IN
I've been panicking because Spike, my ~6 year old Saharan, has started laying eggs. She has never been with a male, so there's no chance they're fertile. I'm mostly concerned because she's a rescue, and the people who has her for her first 4-5 years did not provide her with UV light or calcium. She was kept on calcium sand and had a large romaine leaf dropped into the sand daily, as far as I can tell. By some miracle, she did not develop MBD, but I still don't want her laying.

Now for the questions:
1. Is this normal? I know iguanas do it but not sure about uros.
2. Should I have her spayed to stop this?
3. How many will she lay? She's dropped about 8 in the past week. Hoping she stops soon. :(
4. What should I do with them? I've been taking them out, but would leaving them in stop her from laying more? Or will she eat them to recoup some nutrients?
5. What can I do to help keep her calcium levels up? I already dust her food with calcium + D daily, and I've been giving her lots of dandelion leaves, which I heard had high calcium levels.

I know we have some experienced uro keepers on here, so I'm looking forward to your advice!!

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Send Doug an email. He's happy to help people to succeed with their Uro's, and is happy to share knowledge.

http://www.deerfernfarms.com/

I've known Doug for many,long years, if you'd like, tell him I suggested you go to him for help.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Amanda1 said:
Thanks Ken! Will do!

I just spoke with Doug, and he wanted me to let you know his computer crashed middle of the week. He said it should be back up Monday, and that this would be the explanation for him not getting back with you.
Not that I think it completely needed for your question, but have your numbers ready to give him just like we all like from someone with tortoise questions. Again, good luck and keep me up to date.
On a side note, if your Uro is a normal reluctant water drinker, preferring to just get the water off the rinsed greens, a trick I have used was to put an aquarium air bubbler in the water dish. The movement of the water attracts them and then they find themselves drinking. I say this because the egg laying process, whether fertile or not, taxes the system of water.

Status
Not open for further replies.