Need guidance on buying my first tortoise!

CBlovesturtles

Hi everyone!

I just joined this forum, I am so glad to share my love of turtles with so many people!! I live in CT. I have recently thought about getting a Russian tortoise, as I am told these are good beginner turtles and do not get too big! I have read lots and lots of information about how to care for a tortoise, and I am thinking of attending the Massachusetts Reptile Expo in May and possibly buying my first tortoise! I am really excited but having a few doubts because of the particular temperatures needed and I am unsure what type of enclosure is best (I will definitely keep him inside). And I am just worried I will mess it up! So I just need some guidance and to make sure I won't be in over my head. Also I read somewhere that turtles don't understand the concept of glass and will always try to go through it? Is that true? I have seen so many people using glass tanks. Anyways, any info will help! Thanks so much.

Chelsea

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Beaumont, CA.
Hello
I don't have a Russian but will guide you to the right place.
Go to " Forums"
Look for Mediterranean Tortoises and then click on the Russian, listed below.
If you read the 3rd thread written by Tom, you will have a better idea of what is important.
Your smart to research prior to buying.
Good luck!

M

Maggie Cummings

Funny, I just posted about aquariums. I have successfully raised or fostered a whole lot of hatchlings in glass aquariums. I take paper and wrap it around the bottom of the tank so they can't see out. I get 200-250 gallon tanks used or kinda broken for $20-$40. I think they hold humidity in better...

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ . Russians need a lot of room to roam ,so does CT have summers were you can put it outside to get some uv light . And yes if they can see out they want out . But paper around the the bottom on the outside of the tank will fix that small problem . And I'm shir people on here. Sell R T .

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum