Need a consensus on sexing of my RF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wondering4toolong

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
CT, USA
Alright, I would like to get some opinions on the sexes of my adult red foots. All of them are rescued (Speedy is the worst of the bunch, he came to me about 6 mo. ago...although sad looking his muscle tone has improved greatly in the time I've had him) and I never was looking to breed, but now that I have more than 1 of breeding size I figured it would be nice to know who is what. The more info I've read and pictures I've looked at have done nothing but confuse the situation more.

None of them have a curved plastron and none of them have the peanut shape. All of them are over 10". I have seen head bobbing and ramming from 2 and slight head waving from 1. (The 2 cherry's are a bit more feisty, and the other seems more sociable, for lack of a better term) 2 have been together for more than 2+ yrs with no eggs (but mounting seen with clucking, no penis has ever been visible) I have had those 2 looked at by my vet and knowledgeable reptile friend and we have an opinion on them, but I wanted a wider opinion group...:D:tort:

Attachments

• DSC_0018.jpg
    DSC_0018.jpg
    431.8 KB · Views: 127
  • DSC_0021.jpg
    DSC_0021.jpg
    423.5 KB · Views: 148
  • DSC_0025.jpg
    DSC_0025.jpg
    444.1 KB · Views: 150

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
They all look female to me, though the second picture may be open for more debate...

Wondering4toolong

5 Year Member
CT, USA
photo.jpgHow about this one? I just adopted "her" through a rescue that believes it is probably a female. (I do see a slight bit of a "pinch" to the waist however) This animal is much smaller than the others (one hand vs needing 2 to hold up).:D

Last edited by a moderator:

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Wondering4toolong said:
How about this one? I just adopted "her" through a rescue that believes it is probably a female. (I do see a slight bit of a "pinch" to the waist however) This animal is much smaller than the others (one hand vs needing 2 to hold up).:D

If the SCL is <6 inches, it may be too soon to tell. From what I can see, I'd agree that it's a female (so far).

Wondering4toolong

5 Year Member
CT, USA
Redstrike said:
Wondering4toolong said:
How about this one? I just adopted "her" through a rescue that believes it is probably a female. (I do see a slight bit of a "pinch" to the waist however) This animal is much smaller than the others (one hand vs needing 2 to hold up).:D

If the SCL is <6 inches, it may be too soon to tell. From what I can see, I'd agree that it's a female (so far).

"She" is about 6-7", where as the others are closer to 12"...thank you for the input! :tort:

Wondering4toolong

5 Year Member
CT, USA
DSC_0008.JPGI'd really like more people's input...I'd like a consensus like I said:D
here is another photo of the adults lined up next to each other (as best as I could)

Last edited by a moderator:

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Usually there is more enthusiasm for this kind of game...perhaps trying posting up in the Redfoot forum or asking one of the moderators to move it over there?

BUMP!

Wondering4toolong

5 Year Member
CT, USA
Thx! I will...I've been a voyeur on this site for a while and I've seen the activity on posts like this, I am shocked I don't see more on mine!

ottosmom18

5 Year Member
Redstrike said:
They all look female to me, though the second picture may be open for more debate...

Yeah I think the second one is male due to the more "tail" looking rear end.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
those are 3 gals ......the last one is very odd looking I must say . :rolleyes:

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Yep....All three are Female.....Males would be very obvious at that point.....

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
I disagree. The second one looks male to me. The tails are all small/stubby, but a female has a pucker (*) shaped vent, and male vents look like a slit - the second one definitely has a slit-shaped vent, and the tail is pointier, like it will eventually get longer.

EricIvins said:

EricIvins

5 Year Member
biochemnerd808 said:
I disagree. The second one looks male to me. The tails are all small/stubby, but a female has a pucker (*) shaped vent, and male vents look like a slit - the second one definitely has a slit-shaped vent, and the tail is pointier, like it will eventually get longer.

EricIvins said:

Still all Female......

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
You've been given the right advice, all female.

And don't be unconvinced if you see attempted mating. I have a female that will mount my males, getting into the exact "right" position; even doing the side-to-side head movement and grunting! If I hadn't witnessed her lay eggs many times, I would be convinced she's a male...I guess she prefers to be dominant...?

Status
Not open for further replies.