Final consensus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Napalmseth

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Coral Springs, FL.
I'm starting my habitat shopping for my Sulcata(Grumpy) and my pancakes(Bonnie & Clyde) and was just looking for some input on the proper substrates for them. I seem to be hearing a lot of people using a topsoil/ecoearth(coconut coir) mixture. Is this suitable for both desert tortoise? Or should I use more rock than anything else for the pancakes. I know not to use the sand. I know I'm probably driving you all nuits with all the questions, but the knowledge I've gained in these few days has been priceless!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hey, Seth:

Don't ever worry about asking too many questions. We really do love to answer them and help get you set up properly. What bugs me (personally) is when someone goes out and spends a lot of money buying stuff the pet shop says they need, can't do without, only to find out none of it is the right stuff!

I can't speak to the pancake question, but I like cypress mulch or orchid bark for my tortoises. Its a personal choice. Topsoil/eco earth is also good, just didn't work out for me. But a lot of folks use it and swear by it. You just have to try it and see if you like it.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Here's a vote for cypress mulch. It's all I've used and I haven't had any troubles with it. Just had to laugh at the thread title!!! Final consensus? Are you sure you're on the right forum??? :D

Napalmseth

5 Year Member
Coral Springs, FL.
Well, this is a group and i am looking to make a final decision... :)

Although I do realize it's a bit of an oxymoron considering consensus means final decision...

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
We use cypress mulch, works great for us. Bags that have a tear are 1/2 price at Lowes.

Napalmseth

5 Year Member
Coral Springs, FL.
Off to Lowe's after work!!! Mixing bins and cypress mulch, unfertilized soil for my seed mixture and then pet store to hoard bulbs.

Once again, thank you guys for all the input.

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I use a combination of topsoil, Eco Earth, Cypress Mulch and Orchid Bark and a dash of sand to mix it up.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Wait a minute I thought we had a 2 question a day limit? J/K
:)

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Just another thought, we use those clay dishes for plants as water bowls, they work great for us and they are various sizes with low profile edges.

14e5t6p.jpg

ALDABRAMAN said:
We use cypress mulch, works great for us. Bags that have a tear are 1/2 price at Lowes.

15gyyab.jpg

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Napalmseth said:
Oh, I'm breaking ALL the rules when it comes to question limits!!! :D

:tort: It is ok for the first 10 days, then you get "warnings", LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.