Naming your tort?

Status
Not open for further replies.

laramie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Scottsdale, AZ
Got another one for you..How did you choose your tort's name?
IWhen I worked at the hopsital, there was this elderly gentleman that would come to have lunch everyday, his name was Wilbur. So I named my tort Wilbur as after him.

October

5 Year Member
San Tan Valley, Arizona
Aww, that's very sweet. :D

Morla is named after the giant turtle allergic to youth from the Neverending Story.
Ada is named after Ada Lovelace, known as the world's first computer programmer. And a woman to boot! :D
Trudy was named by my brother and kids. It was a toss-up between that and Harriet. LOL

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Well I picked Cooper's name after looking and looking thru names on the net. And I really liked it so I picked it. No real reason for it but it fits him just fine! :)

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I lived in Las Vegas when I got Vegas, and I lived Texas when I got Tejas. Honey got her name because she had a very sweet disposition even with all the bad care she had recieved..

dav3

5 Year Member
Scotland
ok squirtle:tort: because pokemon rule and well its a turtle so its sorta close to a tortoise lol
ivy :tort: because its a girly non person name lol

ok squirtle:tort: because pokemon rule and well its a turtle so its sorta close to a tortoise lol

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I named my russians stohli, boris and natasha typical russian names
My RF came with a name already maynard
my CDT is called tank he acts like a tank
my sulcata is called little tank he also acts like a tank but he is little (for now)
I have not named my RES, to many
and my boxies have not gotten names yet.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Most of my turtles and tortoise have had names that start with the letter "M"! I also try to come up with cute little "couple" names when I get a male and a female at the same time.

Three-toed box turtles: Max, Myrtle, Marty, and Mogli
Russian tortoises: Mork and Mindy

The exception was my redfoot tortoise, whose name was "Chama," which means "little girl" in Venezuelan Spanish.

October said:
Morla is named after the giant turtle allergic to youth from the Neverending Story.

As I've said, I just love that name for a turtle, especially since The Neverending Story is my all-time favorite film and novel! However, I don't think Morla was allergic to "youth." I think he was simply allergic to humans. When Atreyu asked him if he had a cold, I think he replied, in between sneezes, "No, I'm allergic to you." :D

October

5 Year Member
San Tan Valley, Arizona
GeoTerraTestudo said:
October said:

As I've said, I just love that name for a turtle, especially since The Neverending Story is my all-time favorite film and novel! However, I don't think Morla was allergic to "youth." I think he was simply allergic to humans. When Atreyu asked him if he had a cold, I think he replied, in between sneezes, "No, I'm allergic to you." :D

Good point. I always assumed it was because he was a kid. And I swear I heard the youth thing somewhere, but heavens knows youth has left my brain years ago. ;)

pandacakes

5 Year Member
Oregon
I named my little guy after Ziggy Marley... but his name is just Ziggy :)

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
My husband allows me to get any critter as long as it has a star wars related name. It is a small price to pay :D. If all goes well and we get our Great Dane, we will name him Obi.

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
I grew up playing video games and that is how I came up with Bowser. When I knew that I was getting a tortoise I already known what I was going to name it. How could I pass up the chance of owning a tortoise named Bowser? My husband called me a geek, lol :rolleyes:. Male or female, no matter what the name would always be Bowser. And that's her name, lol :D

CtTortoiseMom said:
My husband allows me to get any critter as long as it has a star wars related name. It is a small price to pay :D. If all goes well and we get our Great Dane, we will name him Obi.

We LOVE Star Wars! We have a bearded dragon named Yaddle, lol. Best female star wars name that fit!

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
drgnfly2265 said:
I grew up playing video games and that is how I came up with Bowser. When I knew that I was getting a tortoise I already known what I was going to name it. How could I pass up the chance of owning a tortoise named Bowser? My husband called me a geek, lol :rolleyes:. Male or female, no matter what the name would always be Bowser. And that's her name, lol :D

CtTortoiseMom said:

We LOVE Star Wars! We have a bearded dragon named Yaddle, lol. Best female star wars name that fit!

Yaddle is too perfect, I love it!!

Lilithlee

5 Year Member
Virginia
This story does nothing for my intelligence, but I'm going to tell it anyways.
I originally named Kingsley Sasha beacuse in Russian it's a boy name and in the USA it's a girl. I figured I was covered either way. ( this was before I knew he was a boy.) However, in a within an hour I could not remember what I named him. No really I couldn't! I sent the whole day trying to remember. It never came back to me, so, I had no choice I had to re-name him.

I got Kingsley from Harry Potter and Doctor who. The actress that play River Song( a character on Doctor who.) is named Alex Kingston. And then there Kingsley Shacklebolt for HP.

A few day later I remember what I named him, but it was too late. He was Kingsley.

pzowt

5 Year Member
My little guy was originally named "Tchaikovsky", after my favourite RUSSIAN composer... but that name quickly became a mouthful lol.
Now he has a first name. I dubbed him(/her) after my (current) favourite band to listen to... Beatle. (Plus the size of his hatchling body looks like he could be a big beetle lol)
...Beatle Tchaikovsky. Woot for good music!

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Bob liked to bob his or her head when I petted it. Shelby had a deformed ( now fine) shell when I got her/ him plus I like the name. When I got Trudy I posted her picture on F/B and asked for help naming her. Someone said Trooper and it hit me that Trudy was her name. Waldo is our new boxie. For a long time he didn't have a name and I called him Big Boy when I talked to him, and I still do. But Big Boy is kind of a lame name even if he is a big boy. So I decided that Waldo fit because every time I feed him I play where's waldo. As anyone with a boxie knows they like to hide. For me everything has to have a name and the name has to fit.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Let's see...I was the 3rd owner for Gypsy, who had no name up until I named him. I was going to call him Cracker Jack, because he had been passed around a lot, but decided Gypsy would be easier.

Iago, I wanted to named him something Brazillian or Spanish....so I got a book of baby names. I just liked how the name flowed.

Olivio or "Ollie", I really liked the name Olive. But because he/she is Brazillian I thought it should have a Spanish sounding name. Olivio, is not how you Olive in Spanish, it is aceituna or olivo. I just added the "i" before the "O" to make it flow better. But it doesn't matter, because I call him/her "Ollie"

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
dav3 said:

Must be an echo in here...here...here :p

Jennifer was named after my first tortoise of many years ago, Ophelia got her name by a poll I put up (and her name got the most votes), Apollonia was a really great suggestion from one of the good folks here, and Ptolemy was a recycled name that I liked a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.