Name that Tortoise!

rebeccalynn1208

Not like actually name...I mean maybe. The basic gist: the woman wasn't taking care of the tort. Bottom line: I don't know species. She said Russian. But I've been misled about Russians before. And I know I'll mother her better than the lady will. The tort has been in her BASEMENT for 6 years for goodness sake.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1425428115.463077.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1425428162.623353.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1425428184.437659.jpg

Sorry if I seem rude, I'm just bitter that this poor baby hasn't had the best conditions. She says its a Russian female that she's had for about 6 years and is estimating at about 10 years old. It's 4 inches long she says.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Good save! It's a Russian tortoise with a badly overgrown beak. Read the care sheets. She needs some humidity in her substrate. You're going to have to change it to something that holds moisture and doesn't get moldy. They are very charming tortoises, you'll enjoy her.

rebeccalynn1208

Good save! It's a Russian tortoise with a badly overgrown beak. Read the care sheets. She needs some humidity in her substrate. You're going to have to change it to something that holds moisture and doesn't get moldy. They are very charming tortoises, you'll enjoy her.

Any tips to help the beak?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
Feeding on a rock or brick, something coarse will help. They can be filed too, but i have not done this. I rrecently saved 2 Russians. They have great personalities, you will enj i y her as soon as she settles in. Good save. Read the care sheets and ask all the questions you have.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
This beak is beyond what feeding on a slate alone can do. You can file it, dremel it or carefully cut it with nail clippers. Not for the faint hearted, and you should have a very good idea of what normal looks like before you begin. You might want the vet to do this. Or else start with a file because it's safer.

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern California, bay area
This beak is beyond what feeding on a slate alone can do. You can file it, dremel it or carefully cut it with nail clippers. Not for the faint hearted, and you should have a very good idea of what normal looks like before you begin. You might want the vet to do this. Or else start with a file because it's safer.
i have trimmed my male russians beak with nail clippers its very scary because the tortoise always tries to move his head and he crapped all over me.