My turtle, no water 24/7 . Help!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

reyreytheturtlelover

5 Year Member
I got a turtle last week and it has only been in the water once!!!! I'm freaking out!!!!! It stays under the light on the rock and there no way the turtle will go in the water, it doesn't swim, it even sleeps on the rock, and when I put it in the water it swims as fast as it can to get dry. Please help I don't think it's normal for a turtle to not to go in the water.

Attachments

• 1369444387191.jpg
    1369444387191.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 121

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, does seem abnormal, but I really can't help you. Very cute turtle though. I do I ow that turtles are out of the water usually more then they are in. Maybe that is more so for babies, I'm just guessing. Someone will be able to help soon. Hang on:)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Turtles come out of the water to warm up. So your water is either too hot or too cool.

reyreytheturtlelover

5 Year Member
OHH ok thanks guys for all ur responses.... the water is like 70-72 degrees I guess I have to put the water warmer and no it's she'll is not soft.

lkwagner

5 Year Member
So it probably hasn't been eating either since they have to be in the water to eat??

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Temps of 70-72 are a bit cool, but it shouldn't stop it from going into the water. Do you have a water heater for the tank? Set it at 76 -78 degrees and put him back into the water. Also, does he have a little hide to go into? He needs that too. Please give us all the details of your enclosure and pics will help immensely. Thanks.

Temps of 70-72 degrees is a bit cool, but it shouldn't keep your turtle from staying out of the water. Do you have a water heater for the tank? You need to get one and set it to 76-78 degrees F. How much water do you have in the tank? There should be enough water to allow him to swim and go under to hide. They can stay in water for a long time without coming out. They eat only under water, so if he's not in water, neither can it eat. It would help us immensely if you would post pics of his enclosure. Give us the temp readings of the water, and what lighting are you using. What is the wattage? Are you providing Uvb lighting? Thanks.

Sorry for the second post. Didn't see the first one posted and I thought it was lost.

lkwagner

5 Year Member
Also I your current is too strong it won't want to be in the water. And if it doesn't have plants or drift wood to float in the water on that might have something to do with it

reyreytheturtlelover

5 Year Member
Here's my 15 gallon gallon set up ima keep them there for a couple of months since they are still little babies till I get a 40 I'm saving for.

Attachments

• 1369503340781.jpg
    1369503340781.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 56
  • 1369503360933.jpg
    1369503360933.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 62

lkwagner

5 Year Member
I thought I read somewhere that they only need an inch of water per inch of shell? Maybe the water is too deep/cold. Plus they don't have any floating driftwood or plants to float in the water on.

Status
Not open for further replies.