my tortoise table

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnschmidt

5 Year Member
here is a few pics of my combined tortoise table and slider pond.
I built it a few years ago and have redecorated it countless times since then. This is when it was new. As you can see there are no glass in the window at this time, and i later laid down some rocks so the turtle could climb up to the land area.
The bottom area is covered with a pond sheet behind a planted homemade foam background.

DSC00390.JPG
DSC00389.JPG
DSC00388.JPG
DSC00386.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

harris

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
That's great! Love the bottom area!

DolanKoops

5 Year Member
That's really good lucky torts how did you do the bottoms ones background?

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
I absolutely love the tortoise table. It's far beyond my own capabilities, but beautiful work!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi John:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know where you are?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
That is fricken sweeeeeet......wow, it has been awhile since I have seen such a creative beautiful unique display....I may be stealing an idea or two from you.....okay? :D:D:D:D:D:D

Weldd

10 Year Member!
Beautiful! Do you have any difficulty maintaining temperature?

johnschmidt

5 Year Member
Totally forgot about this post,,, thanks for all the nice complements :D ! very nice to hear!
The background in the lower part I made by cement foam, some branches and twigs, then i painted it with cement dirt and sand. Then I planted it with mosses, ferns and different climbers. I wouldnt use cement again since it cracked, but the plants covered it up pretty well. Actually the whole thing is deconstructed at the moment. The slider got to big so ive left him in a pond at the local zoo together with other turtles. But ive got some new musk turtles instead.
Im planning to build a similar thing soon, but then i think ill put the water area on top instead (It got quite messy with the cleaning of the filters)
But this time ill do the top completely in glass instead, like a low and wide paladrium that i can plant and keep the musks in.
And the russians will have to move down a level. In the summer i keep my tortoises on the balcony (i live in an apartment) so i built a litte hideaway for them there aswell View attachment 17447
If you think about building something yourself i can really recommend using "Google SketchUp" a wonderful free drawing tool that helped me alot.

Oh,, about the temperature,, No, there were no difficulty, the box were big enough to maintain a proper temperature gradient. The cave were quite cool and the heat lamp were on the other side.

johnschmidt

5 Year Member
Totally forgot about this post,,, thanks for all the nice complements :D ! very nice to hear!
The background in the lower part I made by cement foam, some branches and twigs, then i painted it with cement dirt and sand. Then I planted it with mosses, ferns and different climbers. I wouldnt use cement again since it cracked, but the plants covered it up pretty well. Actually the whole thing is deconstructed at the moment. The slider got to big so ive left him in a pond at the local zoo together with other turtles. But ive got some new musk turtles instead.
Im planning to build a similar thing soon, but then i think ill put the water area on top instead (It got quite messy with the cleaning of the filters)
But this time ill do the top completely in glass instead, like a low and wide paladrium that i can plant and keep the musks in.
And the russians will have to move down a level. In the summer i keep my tortoises on the balcony (i live in an apartment) so i built a litte hideaway for them there aswell balcony.jpg
If you think about building something yourself i can really recommend using "Google SketchUp" a wonderful free drawing tool that helped me alot.

Oh,, about the temperature,, No, there were no difficulty, the box were big enough to maintain a proper temperature gradient. The cave were quite cool and the heat lamp were on the other side.

Status
Not open for further replies.