My tortoise is pooping too much!

KronosandKarios

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Hello, I'm new here and i am very desperate for answers! I don't know if it's a health issue or if it's completely normal and I'm just being paranoid.
I soak my desert tortoise in water 1-2 times a week but today when i soaked her in water she was pooping a lot and i could even see some grass that wasn't processed completely. I drained all the watery poop for about 3 times because she hasn't stopped! I need help please! I don't know of any vets i could take him.CAM00981.jpg

TMartin510

Fremont, California
They poop alot in warm water I believe, or when scared too.
I've read on here that torts don't empty there stomach as fast as we do, so maybe feeding to much? Or maybe she is just pooper. I'm sure if there is something else wrong or someone has a different answer, they will be here soon to answer. Have a great day and welcome to TFO! Your at the right place. :)

TMartin510

Fremont, California
They poop alot in warm water I believe, or when scared too.
I've read on here that torts don't empty there stomach as fast as we do, so maybe feeding to much? Or maybe she is just pooper. I'm sure if there is something else wrong or someone has a different answer, they will be here soon to answer. Have a great day and welcome to TFO! Your at the right place. :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
A tortoise only poops out what it has eaten. Maybe the more realistic sentence would be, "I'm feeding my tortoise too much."

Grass usually comes out still looking like grass. It doesn't completely break down as it works its way through the digestive system.

If your tortoise is grazing, and has access to grass all the time, there's no need for you to offer food. If you want to also feed the tortoise, then offer it things like grape leaves, mulberry leaves, cactus pads.

There's no need to take your tortoise to the vet. What you are seeing is perfectly normal. And, yes...they do poop a lot.

We've seen pictures of poop, now how about some pictures of your beautiful tortoise? :D

KronosandKarios

Texas
A tortoise only poops out what it has eaten. Maybe the more realistic sentence would be, "I'm feeding my tortoise too much."

Grass usually comes out still looking like grass. It doesn't completely break down as it works its way through the digestive system.

If your tortoise is grazing, and has access to grass all the time, there's no need for you to offer food. If you want to also feed the tortoise, then offer it things like grape leaves, mulberry leaves, cactus pads.

There's no need to take your tortoise to the vet. What you are seeing is perfectly normal. And, yes...they do poop a lot.

We've seen pictures of poop, now how about some pictures of your beautiful tortoise? :D

Thank you, I think i may be feeding my tortoise too much. He does have access to grass.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Aw, he's a little Texas tortoise, and isn't he just the cutest little thing? I love him!!

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
My one box turtle I've noticed poops a lot, too. Even when she's not in the water. I flipped over a hide so I could hose down the moss inside of it to re-hydrate it, and there was a decent sized poop sitting right there in the depression her shell made in the moss. I just picked it up and threw it away. She's a good eater and I pretty much almost never have to supply food for her because she's so good at foraging for herself, and she will actually eat the greens I have growing in her enclosure on her own without me needing to mix them in with 'turtle candy' (fruit) in a meal. As long as it looks healthy, good color, and is not runny, I think you're good.